MiniDLNA - DLNA/UPnP Server

Make a PKGBUILD? Submit it here for user review and possible placement into the repository.

MiniDLNA - DLNA/UPnP Server

Postby kmihelich » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:25 am

Suddenly realizing I was frustrated with ushare and other alternatives, I present this package for mass consumption.

From the project website:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'M')iniDLNA (aka ReadyDLNA) is server software with the aim of being fully compliant with DLNA/UPnP-AV clients. It is developed by a NETGEAR employee for the ReadyNAS product line.

The package in AUR is an orphaned CVS version, I have made the changes necessary for this to be Arch Linux ARM compatible and use the latest stable release.

Benefits over ushare: actively being developed, watches for file changes in directories.

I have tested this to work streaming to a WDTV Live. Enjoy!

Edit:
This package is now in the repositories. You can install with: pacman -Sy minidlna
Attachments
minidlna-1.0.18-1-arm.pkg.tar.gz
Package installer
(116.15 KiB) Downloaded 1146 times
minidlna.tar.gz
Package build files
(188.08 KiB) Downloaded 991 times
Last edited by kmihelich on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Re: MiniDLNA - DLNA/UPnP Server

Postby DePingus » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:59 pm

Nice. Does this stream to a Xbox360 as well?
DePingus

Postby kmihelich » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:52 am

It should, as it supports UPnP-AV as well. If you try it out and it works, let us know!
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby DePingus » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:25 pm

So I finally got around to trying this (which is now in the Arch Linux ARM install repo, so you can install with "pacman -S minidlna").

It DOES work with my Xbox360!

I've messed around with it a little bit and here's my comparison with uShare (which I had been using for quite a long time).

For shared videos to my Xbox360, uShare will list and share all the files and folders it finds in the designated directory, regardless of type. MiniDLNA is selective. It only lists folders that have videos in it; and only lists the videos in those folders. MiniDLNA also watches for changes in the directory...which is great! uShare has to be restarted.

For music, uShare sucks. It doesn't read ID3 tags so it can't sort your music. MiniDLNA can and does a nice job.

My Samsung LN52A750 sees MiniDLNA (uShare isn't really a DLNA server) but can't play videos (only PS3mediaserver was ever able to do this). It can play the music, though it is kinda of slow navigating (not really a fault of MiniDLNA).

So for now I have decided: MiniDLNA is going to replace uShare as my UPnP media server!
Thanks for this great package!
Last edited by DePingus on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DePingus

Postby kmihelich » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:25 pm

I'm glad others have found this useful. :) It's in the repository now and I'll be keeping the package up to date there with future releases, so it will be automatically updated for everyone in the future.

As a side note, MiniDLNA doesn't do on-the-fly transcoding like PS3 Media Server does, so if your device doesn't have codec support for the media files you're trying to play, it probably won't work. For instance, I have issues streaming some stuff to my PS3 due to its lack of built-in support, but I've switched entirely over to the WDTV Live since it consumes about 95% less power and plays everything.
kmihelich
Developer

Postby DePingus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Newegg has the WD TV Live recertified for $70 + 5 right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136628&cm_re=wd_tv_live-_-22-136-628-_-Product
I am SO freakin' tempted... :?
Why did you have to tell me this box exists?
DePingus

Postby pepedog » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:34 pm

My thumbs up to minidlna too.
I have an hdx1080 http://www.hdx1080.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page and it runs great with minidlna.

Dave
pepedog
Developer

Postby movietime » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Hello,
I have a Samsung LCD TV which supports DLNA. Can anyone please confirm if they have tested this miniDLNA app successfully with Samsung TV?
I'm planning to buy Seagate Freeagent Dockstar to give miniDLNA a try but not sure if my Samsung TV would be able to leverage it as a DLNA server.
Thanks in advance
movietime

Postby DePingus » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:00 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('movietime', 'C')an anyone please confirm if they have tested this miniDLNA app successfully with Samsung TV?

Like I wrote in my post. I have a Samsung LN52A750 TV and it does NOT stream video to it. It always gives me an unsupported file error. The only time I ever got the Samsung TV to play videos was using ps3mediaserver from an Ubuntu install. I tried it from an Arch install and it wouldn't work (I was probably missing some optional transcoding deps). ps3mediaserver is java based and transcodes on the fly if necessary.

You could always test MiniDLNA on some other Linux install before buying the Dockstar.
DePingus

Postby zachofalltrades » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:30 pm

I was so glad I could install this right after getting Arch Linux ARM install running. Thank You!
----------
ALARM on TonidoPlug : Nginx, NFS, owncloud
ALARM on RaspberryPi : PocketMine-MP
zachofalltrades

Next

Return to User-Submitted Packages