linux-kirkwood 3.7

Make a PKGBUILD? Submit it here for user review and possible placement into the repository.

linux-kirkwood 3.7

Postby ebbix » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:13 pm

I wanted to give Linux 3.7 a try on my GoFlex Net and after some patching, I finally got it to compile.
Based on linux-kirkwood patches (some had to be slightly modified - include correct headers), it compiles for every platform linux-kirkwood 3.6 supports. However, I only tested it on my GoFlex Net and it seems to work fine.
It might not have a perfect .config, so don't blame me if your favorite modules are missing.
And don't blame me if it renders your system unbootable.
It already includes BFQ patches, but no AUFS since they did not update their patches yet. (Could anyone explain what AUFS is good for on a plug computer? I don't get the point)
If you are willing to test Linux 3.7 on your Kirkwood device, know how to compile a kernel (well, yeah basically just run makepkg) and how to restore your old kernel if the new one fails to boot, simply clone my Github repo.
Have fun!
ebbix

Re: linux-kirkwood 3.7

Postby moonman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:31 am

Well done ebbix! I was going to have a go at it but didn't actually get to trying to get it to work. Aufs was officially released for 3.7 a while ago. I'll try to get it to work and submit this to the official github repo, if that is OK with you and nobody beats me to it :)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby ebbix » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:22 am

Feel free to use my patches if you like. But don't forget to edit the config, I don't think it is exactly what you want :D
ebbix

Postby moonman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:30 am

Well, all I need is that one patch (ebbes-kirkwood.patch), everything else I've got (including the config and aufs)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby ebbix » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 am

Yeah you're right :lol: Just take that patch, rename it, change your PKGBUILD, adjust your .config to match new 3.8 settings and you're done.
ebbix

Postby moonman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:13 pm

It was merged. Should be built tomorrow. https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/pull/353

3.8 is not stable yet, so it's 3.7.2
moonman
Developer

Return to User-Submitted Packages