Pull Request for new hardware (Banana Pi --> Olinuxino A20)

Make a PKGBUILD? Submit it here for user review and possible placement into the repository.

Pull Request for new hardware (Banana Pi --> Olinuxino A20)

Postby Copperhead » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:34 am

A few days ago i created a pull request with some necessary changes for BananaPi.
https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/pull/892

I'm still not sure why it was closed. And why kmihelich used in my eyes rude language in his comment.
I'm new to Arch Linux ARM and I still want to help you.

Nevertheless you don't seem happy with BananaPi and I have to accept that. I'm going to sell the Pi.

But before I buy a replacement I want to ask if possible pull requests are OK for you.

I think of buying this board: https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXi ... e-hardware:
Olimex is from Bulgaria, Europe. This board can't be "Chinese copycat garbage" :D

Edit: Or should I just buy a Cubieboard 2? I just need a working A20 board. But I'm also willing to help you support currently unsupported boards.

Thanks in advance.
Christopher
Copperhead

Re: Pull Request for new hardware (Banana Pi --> Olinuxino A

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:35 pm

The reason for the rejection was due to that number of patches altering things unrelated to the BananaPi, such as disabling drivers outright. The u-boot patch was even useless. Since it resulted in a redefined function.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Copperhead » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:01 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'T')he reason for the rejection was due to that number of patches altering things unrelated to the BananaPi, such as disabling drivers outright.

Yes. I didn't want that in the pull request. That was my mistake. The kernelconfig didn't fit to the kernel version defined in the PKGBUILD. That happend during "make oldconfig"

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'T')he u-boot patch was even useless. Since it resulted in a redefined function.

I think you're refering to dram_bananapi.c. I know that it is a 1:1 copy of dram_cubieboard2.c
But I need CONFIG_BANANAPI for dtb selection (There's a slight difference for mmc) and for the small change board.c.

The patch was much more bloated beforehand.
Copperhead

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:42 pm

No, this: https://github.com/CReimer/PKGBUILDs/bl ... GBUILD#L67

I should add, I strongly suggest getting this "Banana Pi" upstreamed into u-boot-sunxi, and then just adding the appropriate and necessary bits to the uboot-sunxi PKGBUILD.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Copperhead » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:44 pm

I fixed all commits. But somehow the pull request doesn't update itself.
Should I create a new one?

I don't feel comfortable with adding changes upstream, as I'm not the original author of these changes.
But if you insist on it, i will try it.
Copperhead

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Then they should be PR'd upstream by the original author, or by you with not of the source. You're not getting crap piled on here.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:34 am

The Banana Pi is pure, unadulterated Chinese garbage created for the sole purpose of trying to scam money from incredibly retarded people by bandwagoning on the "Pi" name.

Aside from commit issues, I'm not spending the time to move those hack patches forward as versions change. I'm also not bothering to do that when we don't have the platform to confirm or verify the support even works, and I'm sure as hell not going to start dealing with bug reports on it.

If the company that makes it is serious about the board, they will mainline support and it will end up here by default. But with it being just Yet Another AllWinner Board, and one very obviously being a pointless clone of a system that is horrible to begin with, those chances are likely very low, and your patches will not be merged.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby Copperhead » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:35 am

I asked over at lemaker forums and I'm not the only one who's waiting for mainlining and necessary patches for the ethernet port.
I think I understand now, why you are against this board. And I agree with you. It's not worth it.

As I said before I'm going to sell my BananaPi on Ebay.
Would you like me to buy the Olinuxino A20 to add support to Arch Linux ARM or should I just go with the Cubieboard2?
Copperhead

Postby kmihelich » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:11 pm

The market is flooded with random AllWinner boards, with many being just plain awful or completely unsupported by their manufacturer now, and the best filter for them is seeing which get mainline support (particularly in the kernel). It is not feasible with our very small developer team to support all of them, and history has proven that users in the community will not take it upon themselves to reliably put in the work to move support forward. We will get patches during the small window they are interested in making it work, then they disappear and the burden of fixing any problems is now on us, which generally means me.

While I see why people want to create pin-compatible clones of the RPi to latch onto the money-pit of accessories that have been created to expand the limited and poor IO options (see also: HummingBoard), the idea that crippling the IO capabilities of the new SoC to fit that form factor is beyond ridiculous. This is also implying that the RPi is some kind of standard that others have to design boards to, which with those crippling effects only serves to hurt end users in the long run as the massive amounts of additional IO ends up not being exposed. There are very good reasons why electrical and embedded engineers snub their noses at the RPi and point to boards such as the Beaglebone Black as examples of how it should be done.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby Copperhead » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Well. You are more or less afraid that I send you pull request and disappear afterwards.

Yes my first pull request was not my best work I have ever done.
I'm not used to pull requests. Usually I am the owner of the git repository I want to contribute to.
https://github.com/VDR4Arch/vdr4arch

I came here because I'm a big fan of Arch Linux and I want to help you make/keep Arch Linux ARM as great as Arch Linux is.
Maybe I was not clear enough at the start of this thread.

You just need to tell me with which hardware I can help you most.

At the moment I own a BananaPi

In Germany it's easy to get the following devices:
Olinuxino Micro A20
Cubieboard 2
Odroid U3
Copperhead

Next

Return to User-Submitted Packages