Device-tree improvements

This is for any ARMv7 device that we do not officially support.

Re: Device-tree improvements

Postby summers » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:04 pm

env import is how arch used to do uboot, and its still used on some architectures such as nsa325.

I think I prefer boot.src, even though it has to be compiled every time, you can do commands far more easily with a script. With environment variables, you can still do I think everything, but it becomes with iterative variables that call each other. Thats far more confusing.

E.g. on my nsa325 look at how I had to modify the device tree:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'loadfdt=echo loading ${fdtdir}/${fdtfile} ...; load ${devtype} ${bootpart} ${fdtaddr} ${fdtdir}/${fdtfile}; fdt addr ${fdtaddr}; fdt set /mbus@f1000000/nand@12f chip-delay <45>')
So first you have to discover that the boot command runs loadfdt at some stage, and then need to modify that variable, to do what you want. That to me is less clear that the boot.src script ...
summers

Postby summers » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:02 am

Oh yes - on bluetooth, worth saying that : https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/bluetooth/btrtl.c indicates that firmware is loaded:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_fw.bin
rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_config')
Guess its worth checking if armbian etc have these files, my guess is in /lib/firmware ...
summers

Postby TheSaint » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:19 pm

I asked to the Armbian staff.
The USB quirks are for some of their interest regarding to fix a HD detection, within their settings. Whilst for the bluetooth there is some change on the kernel configuration.
Actually I'd say that the system works pretty good, the issues are lesser :)
TheSaint

Postby summers » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:30 pm

Yes the HCI UART 3wire (thats the hci_h5 code) is what I'll modify to be auto loaded by the device tree. Its not clear if btrtl needs to be loaded or not, but I'm assuming that hci_h5 takes care of that ...
summers

Postby TheSaint » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Latest experiment gave some head scratching :)
I tried to understand whether the newest rk3288-tinker.dtb is good enough to use. So I started manually u-boot and passed the parameters. Everything gone fine upto to switch initramfs into the rootfs. It isn't able to find the root partition :o
So rk3288-tinkerS.dtb still have that little extra to get me the system going :P
What is that ?
TheSaint

Postby summers » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:27 pm

When you say latest rk3288-tinker.dtb which one do you mean?

rk3288-tinker-s.dtb will come out with kernel 4.20. It should do eMMC but won't do wifi/bluetooth - that still needs work.

An official rk3288-tinker.dtb won't support the eMMC, just the sd card, as the Asus tinker board just has an sd slot ...
summers

Postby TheSaint » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:15 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('summers', 'W')hen you say latest rk3288-tinker.dtb which one do you mean?

The latest included into the kernel 4.18.13, which is available now.
TheSaint

Postby summers » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:40 am

Oh yes, in the initrd you should have enough commands to see why the root file system wasn't loaded. My guess it it couldn't find the PARTUUID. Probably because it could only see the sd card and not the eMMC.
summers

Postby TheSaint » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:21 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('summers', 'P')robably because it could only see the sd card and not the eMMC.

Ah! there's an issue. The devnum changes whether there's the SD card or not. So this might create confusion, because the number zero is always given to what the MASKROM is set.
In fact the initrd tells that cannot find the rootfs, even is addressed by a label. So the difference might be inside the initrd itself which recorded one kind of booting device block.
TheSaint

Postby summers » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:00 am

Thing is the devnum is I think only used in uboot. eg the distro set up only scans certain devices for boot.scr. Now you got as far as the initrd. That says that you managed to find the kernel, and the initrd, and almost certainly the dtb. So the uboot bit seemed to work fine.

So question is what went wrong in the kernel. Now the initrd, when it can't mount root, drops you into a minimal busybox shell - which is enough to see whats up on the system. E.g. you can check the device tree in /proc/device-tree; and check which sd/emmc cards have been detected in dmesg. So you have enough to probe what went wrong, and that brings understanding.
summers

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported