ASUS C201P Boot Hang

This is for any ARMv7 device that we do not officially support.

ASUS C201P Boot Hang

Postby psychopassed » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 am

Hello, I followed the installation guide for the ASUS C100P to install ArchARM onto an SD card for my ASUS C201P, but the boot hangs and the start jobs for "Network Service" and "Volatile Files and Folders" never complete.
I've searched the forums and I've found two solutions, but the first didn't work for me and the second I am not able to complete:
$this->bbcode_list('1')
  • Disable several systemd services: timesyncd, networkd, and resolved (viewtopic.php?f=57&t=13312).
  • Downgrade systemd

• I'm using ChromeOS to chroot into the filesystem to perform all actions (as chroot cannot exec armv7h code on my x86-64 system running Ubuntu 19.04). Instead of downgrading systemd I thought I'd grab the newest systemd from https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/armv7h/systemd, but I can't use pacman!
    I tried the following command, but it fails with the following errors:
    $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
    pacman -U systemd-242.84-2-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
    error: could not open file: /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
    error: could not determine filesystem mount points
    error: not enough free disk space
    error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
    ')
    I cannot use arch-chroot as described here to fix the first error: https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/150442; arch-chroot is not properly executable. I downloaded the package and I attempt to run the script as shown below, but the fifth line is unknown to BASH on the ChromeOS developer channel.
    $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
    /bin/bash arch-chroot.in /tmp/root
    arch-chroot.in: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `common'
    arch-chroot.in: line 5: `m4_include(common)'
    ')
    How am I ever going to get ArchARM running on my C201P? The instructions provided here (https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/rockchip/asus-chromebook-flip-c100p) were easy enough to follow, but this is getting ridiculous! Is there another image of ArchARM I can try which is known to have a working systemd package? It seems others have had this issue, so I'm not sure how it keeps breaking or hasn't been fixed yet.

Any help would be appreciated, so thanks!
    Last edited by psychopassed on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    psychopassed

Re: ASUS C201P Boot Hang

Postby psychopassed » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:40 pm

I was able to get the system to boot by deleting networkd, resolved, and timesyncd releated systemd units. Then I downgraded systemd successfully to version systemd-242.32-3-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz. After the downgrade the system booted successfully once, but then after a reboot it doesn't boot successfully anymore, forever running a start job for Network Name Resolution.

When the system was bootable I had significant difficulties getting a network connection operating. I could ping Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8) and other hosts on my own network, but hostname resolution was not happening at all, so pinging http://www.google.ca was not successful. I couldn't seem to get it to work no matter what troubleshooting steps I pursued in the Arch Wiki or Forums.

I'm going to try reflashing the SD card following the installation instructions, test if it boots magically, and if it does not boot I will restore the files and test again; if they are still stopping systemd from booting successfully I will investigate downgrading those along with systemd to an earlier version.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't know what logs would be helpful, so if you would like to read something about my system please let me know where to find the log and I will attach it.
    psychopassed

Re: ASUS C201P Boot Hang

Postby BIG666 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:47 pm

I'm experiencing the same bug on Asus C100P.
    I've used Arch on my chromebook a few years ago and it was working fine.
    But recently builds looks broken.
    BIG666

Return to Community Supported