Graphical desktop crashing on Chromebook C201

This is for any ARMv7 device that we do not officially support.

Graphical desktop crashing on Chromebook C201

Postby Time4Tea » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Hi, I am using ALARM on a Chromebook C201. Recently, I have been experiencing a lot of crashes with the desktop environment. It seems to be happening with both LXDE and Mate, that the desktop suddenly freezes. When this happens, it won't accept input from mouse or keyboard and I am not able to change to a virtual console with CTL-ALT-F2. However, if I wait a few minutes, the display manager reloads again with the login screen.

Does anyone know what might be causing this and what packages might be responsible?
Time4Tea

Re: Graphical desktop crashing on Chromebook C201

Postby Time4Tea » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Update: I have posted the issue as a question on stack exchange here, including several log files. The Xorg log file is talking about segmentation faults.
Time4Tea

Postby Time4Tea » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:08 am

As one of the users on Stack Exchange suggested, I tried starting LXDE with $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'startx -- :1 tty6 -extension GLX') and it worked, without the instabilities. Seems like there is an issue with hardware acceleration for the X server with this system?
Time4Tea

Postby Time4Tea » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:36 pm

One further update to this, in case anyone is interested:

I realized that the X server instabilities I was seeing were because of the panfrost kernel module. It's an open-source driver for the Mali GPU that is still being developed and not 100% stable. So, for anyone using a C201, I would recommend blacklisting it - that solved all of the stability issues for me.
Time4Tea

Return to Community Supported