VIA VAB-600 Springboard (ARMv7)

This is for any ARMv7 device that we do not officially support.

VIA VAB-600 Springboard (ARMv7)

Postby imrehg » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:26 am

Hi! I'm running Arch Linux on my main computer and on a Raspberry Pi before.
Working for VIA, I have a lot of ARM SoC lying around, and hacked one of them up to run Arch.

The VIA Springboard is a Cortex-A9 800MHz SoC with 4Gb onboard eMMC, and 1Gb RAM. I have written up all the steps in a blogpost. It's very preliminary, but it does run, been able to install XFCE and all that.

Outstanding issues include bringing the kernel up to date, (the current one is back at 3.0.8), and there might be issues with the graphics, but none of them feels insurmountable.

There's a lot of parts to play with. The CPU should be good for 1000MHz originally (not sure why it's underclocked to 800, or whether I got something wrong). There's supposed to be hardware media playback support (albeit might be binary only). Has 8xGPIO, some other engineers here are doing a project (on Android) using the GPIO pins to control sprinkler, light, fan, and so on in an indoor garden....

Would love to hear what do you think!
imrehg

Re: VIA VAB-600 Springboard (ARMv7)

Postby imrehg » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Since this post, managed to boot the system up with the latest (actually 3.16-rc1) kernel with minimal modifications (basically adding a device tree file), and using the armv7-multiplatform image for the system. Looks much better this way, though there's still a lot more work to do. :)
imrehg

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:04 pm

Keep us informed, and consider a PR down the road, so we can integrate.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby imrehg » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:25 am

Thanks, will do! In the meantime any help is really appreciated. It's a pretty tall order to deliver to mainline kernel standards. :) Some of Arch ARM developers do have these boards already, so hopefully that will help for the integration somewhat.
imrehg

Postby kmihelich » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:42 am

I'm not aware of any of us having that board.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:02 am

Points at pile next to my desk.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby imrehg » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:32 pm

Michael Brown and Jason Plum has one each for sure, not that anything has been done with them yet. Need to put more effort into upstreaming work, then hopefully will be more accessible in general.
imrehg

Return to Community Supported