WD MyCloud archlinux installation

This is for any ARMv7 device that we do not officially support.

WD MyCloud archlinux installation

Postby jeremypv » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:43 am

Been searching on how to put archlinux on this baby for a few months and couldn't find one so I took the liberty to dedicate a weekend to putting this together.

First, the product: WD My Cloud
It's a Mindspeed Comcerto C2200, a dual core 1.2GHz armv7h

It runs on Debian wheezy, with a 3.2 kernel, and luckily WD releases the kernel source code as soon as a new firmware is availablehttp://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=904&sid=233&lang=en

Based on this, it has a serial connection, and configuration and kernel is loaded from a partition, and based on this, the whole detail is quite clear.

The disk has 8 partitions
Partition 1 & 2 = /dev/md0 raid 1 partition
Partition 3 = Swap
Partition 4 = all the data
Partition 5 & 6 = Kernel, and backup
Partition 7 & 8 = barebox configuration

Barebox boots the configuration located on partition 7 if it's corrupt, it will load partition 8, both environment configuration loads kernel from partition 5 and uses /dev/md0 as root file system.

If you don't want to touch barebox configuration, the easiest way to install archlinux is:
1. get the latest armv7h tarball, then extract it into /dev/md0
2. recompile the Western Digital released kernel source code and configure it to add Systemd support (links to gentoo kernel config) -- make sure that /lib/firmware/{class_c2000.elf,tmu_c2000.elf,util_c2000.elf} are linked, and all _bin/* files are copied to /lib folder on /dev/md0
3. dd the uImage to Partition 5 of the drive, and boot

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[jeremypv@wd0] ~ [2015-01-12 08:25:45] [1046:1]
$ uname -a
Linux wd0 3.2.26 #4 SMP Mon Jan 5 20:19:39 PHT 2015 wd-2.2-rel armv7l GNU/Linux
[jeremypv@wd0] ~ [2015-01-12 08:25:51] [1042:2]
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 1299.25

processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 1292.69

Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x2
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 1

Hardware : Comcerto 2000 EVM
Revision : 0001
Serial : 0000000000000000
')

if you don't want the default partition (as I did), you need to fiddle with the serial console, and interrupt barebox as it was booting and change the /env/bin/init script to load the env from a different partition

one thing I couldn't make is that the default WD supplied firmware can get 80MBps/50MBps download/upload from the NAS, but for me I'm getting 30MBps maximum upload speed on the archlinux setup.

I can upload the uImage I made and a configuration that boots the kernel from /dev/sda2 and uses /dev/sda5 as root partition.
jeremypv

Re: WD MyCloud archlinux installation

Postby trya » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:34 am

Really interesting. I've been looking for a way to install Arch on my own MyCloud for quite some time now and I've just soldered a UART cable unto its motherboard in order to access to Barebox. Ideally, I would like to load a generic, precompiled uImage, but I don't know if patches from Western Digital are exclusive to this hardware... Did you try to load a generic kernel before loading the patched one? Also, I'd like to test if I can load the rootfs from USB, so that I would save myself tinkering with my archived data in the internal HDD.
trya

Re: WD MyCloud archlinux installation

Postby jeremypv » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:47 am

I tried a generic kernel (from the armv7h tarball) and it just did a kernel panic somewhere -- haven't investigated enough on this since it just took 20minutes to compile the WD supplied kernel and it needs an additional module (pfe) for the ethernet so I just went to that route.

As for the USB rootfs, yes it can be done although the barebox config and kernel will be coming from the HD.
jeremypv

Return to Community Supported