Guide on how2run Freescale Cubox-i on Kernel5.x from scratch

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Freescale SoC.

Guide on how2run Freescale Cubox-i on Kernel5.x from scratch

Postby Musikolo » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:26 pm

Hi everyone!

I have a Freescale CuBox-i4 Pro mini-computer which has been running seamlessly for a lot of years. Some time ago, I created a "Guide on how to upgrade kernel 3.14.79 on Freescale Cubox-i" which allowed me to upgrade my device to the kernel 5.x. Recently, I decided to install Arch Linux ARM from scratch on it, and I found the latest tar.gz file is still using the old kernel 3.14.x. After following the installation steps, I wanted to upgrade it to the kernel 5.x, but I found my ethernet interface didn't work. I remember that I had network issues on kernel 3.14.x long time ago when I tried to install WireGuard. Long story short, I needed to install kernel 5.x but I was in deadlock situation. So, I figured out it shouldn't be that difficult to get a clean installation from scratch with the latest kernel 5.x. Luck me, I was right!

You need to following the official installations steps we have, except that the step 6 needs to be changed as follows:

Download and install latest Arch Linux ARMv7 file with kernerl 5.x and install it:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
wget http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz
bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz -C root
')

Now, the tricky part. Download the latest ArchLinux IMX6 Cubox file and extract the "boot/" directory. We'll only install required boot files which are needed to complete the step 7 in the official installation steps:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
wget http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-imx6-cubox-latest.tar.gz
bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-imx6-cubox-latest.tar.gz boot/
cp boot/{boot.scr,boot.txt,mkscr,SPL,u-boot.img} root/boot/
')

If this works for everyone, it would be great to get this small upgrade added in the official installation steps.

I hope it helps! ;)
Musikolo

Re: Guide on how2run Freescale Cubox-i on Kernel5.x from scr

Postby GAZ082 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:35 pm

This MUST be added to the instructions. However, Im not able to login using SSH (i do get an IP now).

Im getting "Too many authentication failures"

Any clue?
GAZ082

Re: Guide on how2run Freescale Cubox-i on Kernel5.x from scr

Postby GAZ082 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:34 am

Nevermind! This worked:

ssh -o PubkeyAuthentication=no alarm@CUBOXIP
GAZ082

Return to Freescale