HDD disappears from /dev/; all tests okay

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Freescale SoC.

HDD disappears from /dev/; all tests okay

Postby Lestrad » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:21 pm

Hello to all. I have a Wandboard Quad that basically serves as a headless server. It has a 5-Tb USB drive connected to the USB port and a 6-Tb HDD (Seagate ST6000DM003) connected to the SATA port.

All was well until I upgraded to Arch Linux ARM Kernel version 5.6.11-1-ARCH. Since then, the 6-Tb HDD has been periodically disappearing. The shares on it become unavailable and the HDD can no longer be found in /dev/sda, where it usually is, or anywhere else in /dev/. The console shows:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)')
multiple times and then:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
ata1.00: irq_stat 0x40000000
ata1.00: failed command: READ DMA
ata1.00: cmd 25/00:08:00:f4:a0/00:00:ba:02:00/e0 tag 24 dma 4096 in
res 53/04:08:00:f4:a0/00:00:ba:02:00/e0 Emask 0x1 (device error)
ata1.00: status: { DRDY SENSE ERR }
ata1.00: error: { ABRT }
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133 (device error ignored)
ata1: EH complete')
and that also repeats several times.
At other times, just after
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)')
I get:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ata1: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
ata1: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
ata1: reset failed, giving up')

However if I run hdparm it can communicate with the drive and the drive responds to commands, but it remains cold as if it had spun down to save power and can't spin up again, or can't receive the signal to spin up again. If I reboot, the shared partition on the disk can't be found for mounting and a "Timed out waiting for device" error is thrown. However, if I unplug and replug power to the drive before I reboot, the disk is found and mounts and is available... that is, until it drops out again.

I've run Seagate's Long Generic SeaTools tests under Windows and also a full Smartmon test under Linux and no failures are found by either of them. Also if I connect the HDD to my Windows desktop computer, it seems to operate with no problems. (Perhaps I should mention that the main partition on the drive is formatted as NTFS for compatibility with the Windows boxes on my network.)

SeaGate don't seem to know what to tell me. I've been back and forth with two of their people and they ended up telling me they'll replace the drive. But I have a feeling the problem is related to Arch Linux.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. I can provide any further info anyone might need, including the errors I get during the boot process.

Cheers,
Les
Lestrad

Re: HDD disappears from /dev/; all tests okay

Postby moonman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:52 pm

Things to try
-Downgrade the kernel and see if it resolves the problem viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9542
-Check if the power adapter is failing for the HDD
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby Lestrad » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:55 am

Moonman (for some reason I couldn't Quote your answer because "post is too old" (?)):

Thanks for your answer. My pacman log shows that my full system upgrade was on 11 May 2020. The last upgrade before that dates back to 26 December. Could you give me a little help with downgrading the kernel? I've never done it. On "Index of /aarm/" on http://tardis.tiny-vps.com/aarm I see /packages and /repos. I found /aarm/repos/2019/12/26/armv7h/. Is that what I'm looking for?

Any help would be much appreciated. Is there a way I can downgrade only the part that handles the SATA port?

Thanks again for reading and please excuse my ignorance.

Les
Lestrad

Postby moonman » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:33 pm

- Well, first you would need to find out what kernel you are running. My guess is that you are running linux-armv7, but just to be sure run
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Qs linux-')

- Head to http://tardis.tiny-vps.com/aarm/packages/l/linux-armv7/ (or choose a different linux package one level up from this) and choose whatever older version you want.
- $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'cd ~
wget http://tardis.tiny-vps.com/aarm/packages/l/linux-armv7/<yourversion>.pkg.tar.xz
pacman -U <yourversion>.pkg.tar.xz')

reboot and see if the problem persists.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby Lestrad » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Wow thanks. Looks like 5.6.11-1:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' [alarm@alarm readynas]$ pacman -Qs linux-
local/libaio 0.3.112-2
The Linux-native asynchronous I/O facility (aio) library
local/linux-api-headers 5.4.17-1
Kernel headers sanitized for use in userspace
local/linux-armv7 5.6.11-1
The Linux Kernel and modules - ARMv7 multi-platform
local/linux-firmware 20200421.78c0348-1
Firmware files for Linux')

I guess I'll go back to what was working more or less (I've been having problems with Samba too since the update) on that date at end December. Or maybe one version later?

Thanks again
Les
Lestrad

Postby moonman » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:04 am

Yup, you are using linux-armv7 package so all I said above is correct. Just pick a different version and see if that works.

I had problems when Arch updated samba to 4.12 but all seems to be fixed since 4.12.2, at least for me.
moonman
Developer

Postby Lestrad » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:53 am

Thanks again. Won't do it til Monday, I'll let you know.

At the risk of being OT, what problems did you have with Samba? Mine is that it sets locks and Windows keeps throwing errors when trying to access the shares...
Lestrad

Postby moonman » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:50 pm

Those were exact problems with samba. Windows was throwing error about not being able to access a share one second, and it was fine the next.
moonman
Developer

Postby Lestrad » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:00 am

Just to keep you up to date, I tried to download an earlier kernel version per your instructions and realized I didn't have wget. So I installed it with -Syu and of course my entire installation was updated...

So now I'll wait to see if the SATA problem reappears and also try Samba (it installed version 12.3 whereas I had 12.2). Maybe both problems have been solved. If so I'll be back to get help with whatever else stops working ;-)

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Les
Lestrad

Postby Lestrad » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:14 am

Happy to report that since I upgraded two days ago Samba is working again and so far I haven't had any SATA problems. Logitech Media Server is also still working. So for the moment I won't try downgrading. I'm keeping the HDD on my desk and serial connection to the Wandboard open so I can keep an eye on potential SATA problems.

Below is my current installation info. I suppose I should go and look over all the bug reports between this version and my earlier one.

Thanks very much for your help!
Les
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[alarm@alarm ~]$ pacman -Qs linux-
local/libaio 0.3.112-2
The Linux-native asynchronous I/O facility (aio) library
local/linux-api-headers 5.6.11-1
Kernel headers sanitized for use in userspace
local/linux-armv7 5.6.15-1
The Linux Kernel and modules - ARMv7 multi-platform
local/linux-firmware 20200519.8ba6fa6-1
Firmware files for Linux')