Utilite Arch linux advantages

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Freescale SoC.

Utilite Arch linux advantages

Postby tobbebobbe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi,

I see there are a couple of threads about this device already but not with exactly the questions I have.

I have just received my Utilite Pro which I initially intend to use for xbmc. Later I expect to use it also as a wifi router, and install servers such as webserver, owncloud etc. The advantages I see with using Arch over Ubuntu are:

* Rolling release, a concept which I like. Updating seems easier
* Not being stuck with the ubuntu way (no root user, unity etc)

Also, I see some potential reasons to not switch:

* Never touch a running system. Ubuntu works. Will Arch work as well?
* How much work is it to set everything up in arch?
* Are there any packages missing that I have not thought about to check in the package list?

I have never used Arch, but I am a long-term gentoo user on PC, so I think I will manage arch quite well. But the question is if it is worth the time to switch from ubuntu to arch. Are there enough packages available in arch? Is it easy to configure?

What advantages and disadvantages do you see with switching to Arch on the Utilite?
tobbebobbe

Re: Utilite Arch linux advantages

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:14 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tobbebobbe', '
')* Never touch a running system. Ubuntu works. Will Arch work as well?

Seriously?
')* Are there any packages missing that I have not thought about to check in the package list?

Plenty of stuff to look this up.
')I have never used Arch, but I am a long-term gentoo user on PC, so I think I will manage arch quite well. But the question is if it is worth the time to switch from ubuntu to arch. Are there enough packages available in arch? Is it easy to configure?

Wiki is your friend. Especially the Pacman Rosetta page.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby tobbebobbe » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Uhm, that was not really a clear answer. Are you able to confirm that I will be able to get X running with good graphics and sound, as well as running xbmc under arch on the utilite?
tobbebobbe

Postby tobbebobbe » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:07 pm

So I have installed Arch ARM on my Utilite Pro, only to find out that the graphics drivers are not available. Although I can start xorg with the fallback drivers they are not enough for me to do anything useful such as playing movies etc. Pulling the necessary drivers from the ubuntu image did not work since they are compiled for older version on xorg.

I did not try the open source drivers which are under development and agailable via git.
tobbebobbe

Return to Freescale