[Wandboard Quad] Kodi refuses to start

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Freescale SoC.

[Wandboard Quad] Kodi refuses to start

Postby kingofkeks » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi Guys, noob to arch here,

I installed arch using this guide, but left out the Mainline Kernel. After that I installed kodi-imx and all the dependencies necessary to run Kodi. It did work, but i had the same problem described here, which I solved by creating uEnv.txt in /boot containing the following (and only that):

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24,bpp=16')

which solved the grey scale problem. So I was able to run Kodi in glorious Technicolor, but after about 5 minutes of Video watching the screen went black and the sound cut off. Kodi still seemed to run in the background because I could still fast forward the video and such. I restarted Kodi and could watch again for about 5 minutes. After that I decided to restart the system. Now Kodi just gives me a black screen to begin with. It is Kodi, that does this, because If I restart it my TV registers a change in display (samsung tvs show you a little info window when the signal changes).

I would really appreciate the help people. I don't want to go back to xbmc 13.1 from stephan's image (even though the man deserves a medal and a national holiday in his honor), because of incompatibilities with a couple of addons I wanted to use. So please help me.

If you need logs or further information just tell me how to get it and you got it.

Thank you!
Kingofkeks
kingofkeks

Re: [Wandboard Quad] Kodi refuses to start

Postby pepedog » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:27 am

Your initial problem, consoleblank=0 in kernel command line
And bpp=24 is normal, except on solo boards
pepedog
Developer

Postby kingofkeks » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:11 am

Hi pepedog,

I changed the uEnv.txt according to your post, but it doesn't solve the problem. I tried re installing Kodi (including removing dependencies with $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Rs kodi-imx')) after I removed Kodi I could see the the login prompt on my tv like normal. After installing Kodi I get the black screen again.
in order to test things I disabled Kodi from startup. When i start it manually it goes to the black screen and if I stop it my screen doesn't go back to the command line prompt (I checked and kodi really stops.)

I have a suspicion, that it was a setting I changed in Kodi using the UI. Do you think that is possibly? How would I revert those changes without losing the ability to control Kodi from the web interface, since I don't have a spare USB Keyboard?

Thanks

Kingofkeks
kingofkeks

Postby pepedog » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:27 am

Its probably those UI settings (with web interface setting within it) that's stopping it.
Maybe test with
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mv /var/lib/kodi/.kodi /var/lib/kodi/.kodi.backup')
Make sure kodi stopped before doing that
pepedog
Developer

Postby kingofkeks » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:57 am

God dam it.

A wrong setting seemed to be the culprit. And now the grey scale is back. Let me see if the system doesn't like the bpp=24

Edit: Confirmed. Looks fine in bpp=16.

Edit2: The original problem of Kodi crashing after about 5 minutes is still here
kingofkeks

Postby pepedog » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:35 am

consoleblank=0 in uEnv.txt, have you got it?
pepedog
Developer

Postby kingofkeks » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:09 pm

Yes. This is my entire uEnv.txt
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24,bpp=16
consoleblank=0')

It starts like it should and after around 5 minutes it seems to lose connection to my tv, because a box pops up saying "no signal". If I then restart Kodi it works again for 5 minutes
kingofkeks

Postby pepedog » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:07 pm

This might be overheating?
pepedog
Developer

Postby kingofkeks » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:04 pm

That crossed my mind as well, but the system info screen in Kodi shows 46°C, which I think is not great, but ok. Furthermore, Kodi still responds to commands sent via the app or web interface when it shows a black screen. I can FF a video, choose a different one and let it play til the end. But all that comes up is a black screen until I restart Kodi

what does concern me though is that ps shows a cpu usage of 40% for kodi when it's only showing the UI. that can't be normal, can it?
kingofkeks

Return to Freescale