Creat u-boot for Smileplug

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Marvell SoC.

Creat u-boot for Smileplug

Postby ineiti » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:49 am

Hi,

I'm thinking of re-building my own u-boot, hoping to overcome some of the troubles of the current u-boot (not reading all SD-cards reliably, troubles initializing eth-ports). Unfortunatly the official u-boot repository doesn't hold a board/Marvell/smileplug directory. Does somebody know what has been used to build the first u-boot? Anyobdy care to share what he/she did?

Thanks in advance
ineiti

Re: Creat u-boot for Smileplug

Postby kmihelich » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:48 am

Globalscale holds the source for the U-Boot being used, and I don't believe the source has been released.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby ineiti » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:09 pm

OK, too bad. Do you know who put the new u-boot on this page? It is not available anymore, as far as I can tell. Do you work for Globalscale? Is there somebody that could be asked for an update with regard to some of the issues:

No USB3-support in u-boot
    Slow MMC-cards not usable
    Having to initialize eth-ports through "ping"

Thanks anyways
ineiti

Postby kmihelich » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:29 pm

USB 3.0 support will likely not be coming, since that requires additionally drivers be written to specifically utilize the PCIe-based USB 3.0 controller on there.

The MMC issue will probably always be there, though it's better with the new version of the U-Boot from the old temporary page, if you have that installed. If you don't, I'll be updating the new installation page with information for flashing that newer version of U-Boot again so that people can properly upgrade if they need to.

The initializing ethernet ports through ping or other matters has been rectified in the kernel as of around 3.12.1. If you have the latest kernel installed, you no longer need to go through any of that now.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby ineiti » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:45 am

I just updated my Smileplug, and in the pacman-messages I see the following:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '(55/79) installing linux-armv7 [########################################] 100%
>>> Updating module dependencies. Please wait ...
NOTE: Using this kernel requires an updated U-Boot!
')

Is there now an official place where the updated u-boot for the Smileplug is located?
ineiti

Postby kmihelich » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:31 pm

You can ignore that warning, that is specifically for other v7 devices when updated from their vendor kernel to that mainline kernel.
kmihelich
Developer

Return to Marvell