Samsung XE303C12 / Ctrl-U not booting

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

Re: Samsung XE303C12 / Ctrl-U not booting

Postby mind5t0rm » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:53 pm

Thank you very much for the update

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'P')lug it into the black (not blue) USB slot and hit ctrl-U when booting.

What do you mean by that? My Chromebook has no different colors between the two USB ports.

Any way I can save all the edits I have previously done, before re-flashing? I have configured the system for daily internet use as well as some interface customizations and I wouldn't want to lose all these if possible.

Also, is there a way to manually (like file by file) downgrading/upgrading the kernel directly in the SD card?

Many thanks
mind5t0rm

Postby m3lang3 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:57 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('mind5t0rm', 'T')hank you very much for the update

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'P')lug it into the black (not blue) USB slot and hit ctrl-U when booting.

What do you mean by that? My Chromebook has no different colors between the two USB ports.

Any way I can save all the edits I have previously done, before re-flashing? I have configured the system for daily internet use as well as some interface customizations and I wouldn't want to lose all these if possible.

Also, is there a way to manually (like file by file) downgrading/upgrading the kernel directly in the SD card?

Many thanks

The Samsung XE303C12 has one USB 2.0 port (black) and one USB 3.0 port (blue). It can't boot from the latter. Is this the Chromebook you have?

I've never tried running off an SD card, though this gives you some interesting options. First, you should make a copy of the card so you have something to fall back to in case you try something that doesn't work. There is a working kernel in the installation .tar.gz file (5.10.13 when I downloaded it a few days ago). Maybe you could copy that on to your SD card? (I've never tried manually copying a kernel over, so I can't help you with that)
m3lang3

Postby mind5t0rm » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:34 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'T')he Samsung XE303C12 has one USB 2.0 port (black) and one USB 3.0 port (blue). It can't boot from the latter. Is this the Chromebook you have?

Ok, mind me I was referring to the Samsung Chromebook 2, XE503C32, which seems to have the same issue with the 5.10.13 kernel not booting.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'F')irst, you should make a copy of the card so you have something to fall back on in case you try something that doesn't work.

Indeed that's interesting. I will buy a second microSD and clone the original one.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'M')aybe you could copy that onto your SD card?

Trying that and reporting back soon

Thank you very much.
Last edited by mind5t0rm on Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
mind5t0rm

Postby m3lang3 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:39 pm

Just a quick heads-up for anyone compiling their own kernel, there's a bug in file-5.40 which prevents xz archives from being detected correctly by makepkg; easiest fix is to downgrade to file-5.39.
m3lang3

Postby murph » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:35 pm

I'm not as skilled in Arch, so I appreciate the advice on holding back packages. When I held back those two packages, and rebooted, I was still able to boot, I guess I've confirmed a kernel issue. Without all the other packages updating, I was able to get a better look at the update process on them. This seemed interesting:

==> WARNING: No modules were added to the image. This is probably not what you want.
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img

Not sure where to go from here though.

(I haven't undertaken the whole rebuild kernel from USB boot process, I haven't had that kind of time lately.)
murph

Postby mind5t0rm » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:05 am

Just a quick heads-up

Samsung Chromebook 2 (XE503C32) also has the same issue after the latest kernel update. I can make it boot up until 5.10.13-1

If I try updating to the latest kernel version I experience the same issue.

Ctrl-U doesn't boot and a quick loud sound indicates there is no OS to boot into.
mind5t0rm

Postby murph » Sun May 30, 2021 11:30 pm

Just tried again, 5.11.2-1 does the same thing.
murph

Re: Samsung Chromebook 1+2 / Ctrl-U not booting

Postby mind5t0rm » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:27 am

Have you tried updating any of the below successfully?

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'linux-armv7
linux-armv7-chromebook
linux-api-headers
linux-firmware')

I have them all on ignore list in pacman.conf to avoid breaking my system

Would love to know if I can safely update any of them

Thank you very much
mind5t0rm

Postby m3lang3 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:53 pm

I upgrade linux-api-headers and linux-firmware with no issues.
m3lang3

Postby murph » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:29 pm

When I upgrade
linux-armv7
linux-armv7-chromebook

It causes the issue.

The other two I haven't tried on their own.

The last time that I tried to update everything but the first two, it ran through and partially booted, but got caught in a loop on boot.
murph

PreviousNext

Return to Samsung