Samsung XE303C12 / Ctrl-U not booting

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

Re: Samsung XE303C12 / Ctrl-U not booting

Postby cdrigby » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:21 pm

Previously (last week) the ArchLinuxARM-armv7-chromebook-latest.tar.gz installer worked for my Samsung XE303C12 Chromebook, but attempts to upgrade the resulting system result in the boot failure using the 5.11.2 kernel as described in this thread.

Today I tried again with an eye towards preventing the kernel upgrade and working with the resulting system. However, there is a new installer with the same name and dated 1 Jul 2021. It may have the newer kernel, as it now produces non-booting SD and USB-based installers for me.

Note to self: keep those old downloads! I found an older installer from 3 Mar 2020 on an old mirror that had not been updated and it works to create a USB installer that boots OK. It's here:

http://mirror.nus.edu.sg/archlinux-arm/os/
cdrigby

Postby jazzbassoon » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:13 pm

Thanks for finding that. I'm trying to do a fresh install and got to the same roadblock. It's going to take an hour for the file to download, but hopefully it will work!
jazzbassoon

Postby cdrigby » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:19 pm

Sure! I've not gotten back to poking at it myself. Please let us know how it goes.
cdrigby

Postby jazzbassoon » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:32 pm

It worked for installing onto my USB drive at least! I tried to get it on the internal eMMC, but it doesn't seem to be working right. I tried to download the new image and just flash the older kernel in, but that didn't work. I (stupidly) didn't save the older file somewhere so now I'll have to download it again to try and put it on the internal.
jazzbassoon

Postby jazzbassoon » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:48 pm

Download went much faster this time around, and not doing what I did earlier and it worked! But I guess the larger issue is still there. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.
jazzbassoon

Postby cdrigby » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:41 am

Perhaps you can try working your way forward by upgrading the kernel but I do not know the arch linux system well enough to advise. From the beginning of this thread, it looks like the last working kernel that would boot this system is 5.10.

The practical reality for these nice, light and long-battery-life units is that support for them is drying up. I got a chromebook w/ an ARM processor as a refurb on EBay that has chromeos support until 2028 & runs crostini (chromeos VM for debian buster linux) for about $100. I'll PM you details if you like, but 32-bit ARM devel right now is mostly focused on embedded, raspberry pi, etc. This one is about $40 on EBay, but that's probably because no one is buying them.

So this unit constitutes a passion project at this point.

Here's how far I got using the Crouton project if you wish to check that out: https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/discussions/4530

And to the ArchDevs: thanks!
cdrigby

Postby murph » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:35 am

>>>The practical reality for these nice, light and long-battery-life units is that support for them is drying up. ..., but 32-bit ARM devel right now is mostly focused on embedded, raspberry pi, etc.

So, is there a better forum for these machines? If the devs need more feedback, or for that matter, more hardware, where is the right place to make that contact?

I'd like to see some of these issues fixed, but if they need machines to work on, I'd donate mine to further the cause if that's what they need. If they need more feedback, I'll give it a shot.

--murph
murph

Postby armuseru » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:28 pm

I use 3rd party kernel 5.13.6 from https://github.com/quarkscript/linux-ar ... 03c12-only with my xe303c12 and it boots ok from internal mmc.
But I don't know if it boots with Ctrl+U, because i was disconnect battery and lost ability to boot from external storage. Is there a way to restore usb-booting without ChromeOs?
armuseru

Postby m3lang3 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:56 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('armuseru', 'I') use 3rd party kernel 5.13.6 from https://github.com/quarkscript/linux-ar ... 03c12-only with my xe303c12 and it boots ok from internal mmc.

Interesting, I saw that link this morning and came here to ask about it. Good to know it's working.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('armuseru', 'B')ut I don't know if it boots with Ctrl+U, because i was disconnect battery and lost ability to boot from external storage. Is there a way to restore usb-booting without ChromeOs?

Maybe you could try extracting the crossystem binary from ChromeOS and running:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_signed_only=0
')
m3lang3

Postby armuseru » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:31 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('m3lang3', '
')Maybe you could try extracting the crossystem binary from ChromeOS and running:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_signed_only=0 ')

Thank you very much! It's working now.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[test]$ sudo mount -t ext4 chromeos_12105.100.0_daisy_recovery_stable-channel_snow-mp-v4.bin chrome -o ro,loop,offset=$((512*319488))
[sudo] password for user:
[test]$ sudo arch-chroot chrome
test / # crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_signed_only=0
test / # crossystem
dev_boot_legacy = 0 # [RW/int] Enable developer mode boot Legacy OSes
dev_boot_signed_only = 0 # [RW/int] Enable developer mode boot only from official kernels
dev_boot_usb = 1 # [RW/int] Enable developer mode boot from USB/SD
... ')
armuseru

PreviousNext

Return to Samsung