[SOLVED] Linux Firmware & ODROID (HC2/XU3) & Kernel 4.14

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

[SOLVED] Linux Firmware & ODROID (HC2/XU3) & Kernel 4.14

Postby RonObvious » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:14 pm

Am I the last ODROID XU3/HC2 user out there?

I'm surprised no one else has asked about the new version of "linux-firmware", which -- according to the recent announcement -- only works with kernel >= 5.3.

I'm still using the kernel package "linux-odroid-xu3" with my HC2 (which is a 4.14er kernel). So, I've not updated the linux-firmware package (yet). Has anyone else tried the new firmware with the old kernel (perhaps accidentally)?

Or does anyone know of a newer kernel which would work on the HC2 -- with the new firmware?

That would be the better solution, of course. Or migrating to new hardware (e.g. the HC4). Still, my HC2 is running like a charm and since it's not broke, I'm not sure if I want to "fix" it (but I would like to keep the software up-to-date).

(There was a post here months ago looking for a new kernel, which was "answered" with pointers to a newer kernel for the C2, but the C2 and the HC2 are not the same thing (if I'm not very much mistaken). I've been waiting to hear if anyone got a 5'er kernel to work with an HC2).

UPDATE - SOLUTION: The 4.14 Kernel works with the updated firmware (despite the warnings).
Last edited by RonObvious on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonObvious

Re: Linux Firmware & ODROID (HC2/XU3) & Kernel 4.14

Postby trollsid » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:36 pm

You can build kernel 5.15 from[url]github.com/tobetter/linux[/url]
trollsid

Postby graysky » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:37 pm

Kevin reverted the compression option. See: https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... UILD#L3-L4

You should be ok to update.
graysky
Developer

Postby trollsid » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:51 pm

trollsid

Postby RonObvious » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:56 pm

Thank you very much!

In particular:
$this->bbcode_list('1')
  • Thank you to graysky for the info about the 4.14 package and the linux-firmware package: I've updated the linux-firmware package (still using the 4.14 kernel), and rebooted, and so far, so good -- meaning, my HC2 has been up and running for over 45 minutes without a problem (so far).
  • Thank you to trollsid for the PKGBUILD for the 5.15 kernel. I had to update the md5sums to get the build started, but that's not that surprising, and now it's happily building. I'll let you know later how it turned out.

• Cheers,

Ron
    RonObvious

Re: [SOLVED] Linux Firmware & ODROID (HC2/XU3) & Kernel 4.14

Postby RonObvious » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:17 pm

Two quick, and hopefully final updates:
    $this->bbcode_list('1')
  • My HC2 has been running for some time now with the 4.14 Kernel and the latest firmware. No problems observed! As such, I've changed the name of this thread to indicate that the problem is "solved".
  • I cannot confirm that trollsid's PKGBUILD works. I can't get it to build (or rather, to install, once built). I'll pursue that further in github, but for the moment, the problem with the firmware seems to have been a false alarm, so I think it best to close this thread.
  • RonObvious

Return to Samsung