odroid-xu4 internet connection sharing to a router

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

odroid-xu4 internet connection sharing to a router

Postby jbodhorn » Sat May 07, 2016 3:58 am

I've set up my odroid-xu4 to share its internet connection received from onboard ethernet eth0 to usb ethernet eth1. It works, it's fast, but the point in my doing this was to plug in a second router and have this router's full function.

I receive internet on odroid's eth0 from my isp's modem/router combo via dhcp(odroid's ip is reserved in the isp's modem/router settings) it always receives the ip of 192.168.1.204 and I've set a static ip on eth1 192.168.2.1 I've configured dnsmasq to provide dhcp and dns for the shared connection through eth0.

As I said, it works and it's quick, but there is an issue. When plugging this second router into the odroid I had been plugging eth1 into it's wan port, this seemed like the most logical port to plug into right!? Plugging a cable from usb eth1 to this routers wan leaves me with nothing working, all I get is dns fail when I try to use the internet through this router. When I check the router's status in its web admin console it shows that it's online and that everything is fine, I check dnsmasq on the odroid and it all comes up fine, no errors, but nothing working

This router can also be used as a switch by plugging a cable from a router(in this case my odroid is the router I guess) into any of the routers 4 lan ports. Today I got fed up, instead of smashing the router to pieces I plugged the odroid into one of the lan ports... magically I have working internet, yet the internet connection status in the router's admin console shows that it's disconnected from the internet... WTF!?

Why can I not plug the odroid into the routers wan and get internet when connected to this second router, how do I diagnose the issue, should I be doing this a different way?

From the routers admin web console:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
WAN > Connection Type

Select your connection type:
Dynamic
A Dynamic type of connection is the most common. If you use a cable modem, then most likely you will have a dynamic connection. If you have a cable modem or you are not sure of your connection type, use this.
Static
A Static IP address connection type is less common than others. Use this selection only if your ISP gave you an IP address that never changes.
PPPoE
If you use a DSL modem and/or your ISP gave you a User Name and Password, then your connection type is PPPoE. Use this connection type.
PPTP
[European Countries Only]. This type of connection is most common in European countries. If your ISP has specifically told you that you use PPTP and has supplied you with the proper PPTP information, then use this option.
Telstra BigPond
[Australia Only] Users of Telstra BigPond Cable or DSL will use this option to configure the connection.
')

It says and was set to dynamic so I just assumed that providing dhcp and dns would allow it to work, it said it was working in this console even though it wasn't. I have a feeling using dnsmasq to provide a static connection will give me the same results but I haven't had a chance to try it, maybe tomorrow...
jbodhorn

Re: odroid-xu4 internet connection sharing to a router

Postby jbodhorn » Sat May 07, 2016 4:32 am

I just found out that internet is currently only working on one of the two laptops I've tried connecting to this second router. The other laptops hostname doesn't show up in the routers admin console, its just blank and internet doesn't work, I can't ping to a web address or an ip, it just fails... yet on the first laptop I tried, the one I'm currently typing from everything works... WTF!?
jbodhorn

Postby moonman » Sat May 07, 2016 5:25 am

Your setup doesn't make much sense to me right now.

1. You have odroid and the router advertise DHCP on the same network segment. Disable DHCP on the 2nd router if you plugin the cable from odroid into a LAN port of the router.
2. What are you trying to achieve in the end?
Why not setup a bridge and attach eth0 and eth1 to it and ditch NAT on the odorid?
Why not disable DHCP on router2 (which effectively makes it a Wireless AP + switch) and connect it directly to router1 (main) (don't use WAN port at all unless it can be assigned to the switch like on dd-wrt)?
Why do you need this second router at all?
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby jbodhorn » Sat May 07, 2016 5:59 am

Using the this second router as a switch doesn't work since we got a new modem from our isp, that's probably why only one device is currently working on it. Hostnames don't show up like with the second laptop I tried connecting and ip addresses also get messed up. I never thought to try disabling dhcp on the router, I'll check tomorrow to see if its an option tomorrow.

I have two reasons for using the second router, we have a dead spot for wifi that it would cover and I would also be able to use the ethernet ports to plug stuff in that requires ethernet and a screen. The router/modem from our isp is down in our basement and I put the second router in our bedroom by our tv so I can work on my raspberry pi's, odroid, and whatever other toys I pick up
jbodhorn

Return to Samsung