new kernel update for odroid xu4. and now wont boot up.

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

Re: new kernel update for odroid xu4. and now wont boot up.

Postby Screamy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:31 am

@moonman

Egg on my face. You were right that my XU4 no-boot problem was not related to the issue others have reported here. During the install process, my finger's muscle-memory was causing me to type sh sd_fusing.sh /dev/sdb1 instead of /dev/sdb.

After following the install guide to the letter, my XU4 is back up and working great.

Thank you for so politely nudging me to reexamine my assumptions!

:)
Screamy

Postby moonman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:43 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('picklegun', 'H')as anyone had any problems after running fsck on the sd card? I had to reinstall the bootloader with the /boot/sd_fusing.sh script. Even now, when I run fsck.ext4 -fn (force recheck, don't do anything to the filesystem) on the sd card, I get errors.

Is there some kind of incompatibility between u-boot and the ext4 filesystem?

No incompatibility. Make sure you are using up-to-date fdisk to partition. Old version did not start a partition on 2048 sector by default (CentOS, LTS Ubuntu, Debian stable may use an old fdisk but I haven't checked) so your partition may overlap with uboot.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Screamy', '@')moonman

Egg on my face. You were right that my XU4 no-boot problem was not related to the issue others have reported here. During the install process, my finger's muscle-memory was causing me to type sh sd_fusing.sh /dev/sdb1 instead of /dev/sdb.

After following the install guide to the letter, my XU4 is back up and working great.

Thank you for so politely nudging me to reexamine my assumptions!

:)

Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby BombusRidiculus » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:02 am

Hello,

I just registered to the board to signal the same issue. After an upgrade last night, the external USB3-based hard-drive refused to boot anylonger, and in addition, the filesystem appeared to be corrupted.

Allow me to supply a few more details.

- Odroid XU4 with Arch, performed the full pacman system upgrade and was notified about the new uboot and the boot.scr replacing boot.ini
- SD/eMMC card has boot.ini with root=/dev/sda1 inside (where /dev/sda1 is the USB3 hard disk)
- Fortunately I had a secondary, older hard-disk with a replica of Arch from a few months ago, which I could mount as /dev/sda1
- After booting from the backup, the original hdd is then manually inserted in the 2nd usb, and subsequently attached as /dev/sdb1 and the system shows tons of errors with superblocks and the drive was initially unmountable
- I repaired the harddisk with e2fsck / testdisk / fschk.ext4 then I could mount and arch-chroot and I got inside the /boot folder
- unfortunately blkid did not give a PARTUUID for that hdd (maybe not a GPT partition ?), so I tried two options (instead of the uboot original ${uuid} placeholder
Option a: root=/dev/sda1 (identical to what I have in the emmc / hdsc card's /boot/boot.ini)
Outcome: harddisk appears to be spinning continously, console login prompt appears but unresponsize (like frozen) on the hdmi-connected monitor

Option b: root=UUID=(the uuid value of the hdd without double quotes)
Outcome: harddisk does not appear to be spinning continously but the harddisk is probably not correctly acknowledged, the login prompt is still frozen

I am definitely willing to try the root=PARTUUID=(value) but I'm not sure if that partition has one, or maybe the blkid is not able to extract it for that particular partitions

Any suggestions are appreciated

Regards
silviu
BombusRidiculus

Postby picklegun » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:17 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('BombusRidiculus', '
')- After booting from the backup, the original hdd is then manually inserted in the 2nd usb, and subsequently attached as /dev/sdb1 and the system shows tons of errors with superblocks and the drive was initially unmountable
- I repaired the harddisk with e2fsck / testdisk / fschk.ext4 then I could mount and arch-chroot and I got inside the /boot folder
- unfortunately blkid did not give a PARTUUID for that hdd (maybe not a GPT partition ?), so I tried two options (instead of the uboot original ${uuid} placeholder

This is similar to what I'm experiencing. I repair the errors and the sd card will not boot. I fix the boot loader and I have errors.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('picklegun', 'H')as anyone had any problems after running fsck on the sd card? I had to reinstall the bootloader with the /boot/sd_fusing.sh script. Even now, when I run fsck.ext4 -fn (force recheck, don't do anything to the filesystem) on the sd card, I get errors.

Is there some kind of incompatibility between u-boot and the ext4 filesystem?

No incompatibility. Make sure you are using up-to-date fdisk to partition. Old version did not start a partition on 2048 sector by default (CentOS, LTS Ubuntu, Debian stable may use an old fdisk but I haven't checked) so your partition may overlap with uboot.

I checked. I partitioned the sd card on a Fedora 24 box and the starting sector is 2048.

This morning, I took out a spare sd card and copied the file system from the old card to the new (after repairing it) using this page: http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/ha ... hard-drive (which is great, by the way -- I use this script a lot).

I am still having this issue. I could paste the errors I get from fsck.ext4 -fn if you wish.
picklegun

Postby picklegun » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:43 pm

I just did a fresh install of Arch on a blank SD card. Before ever booting the card, I ran fsck. It showed the volume as clean, but fsck -fn gave the same errors as the other two SD cards.

Installing the U-Boot loader must be altering the ext4 file system. Again, the starting sector was 2048, and I did the install from Fedora 24, which I'm fairly certain has current binaries compared to Arch.
picklegun

Postby jbodhorn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:00 am

I too am having this boot problem, I thought I had forgot to run that command $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', './mkscr')to make the boot.scr file. I restored from a backup did an update and was at the same point, I ran $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', './mkscr') but no success, same issue. I've been running headless, have don't ssh access and I actually have to physically move the odroid to hook it to a screen. I'm waiting for ideas atm before I bother moving the odroid

When the odroid had boot failure the first time I tried to check my boot.txt but no matter what I opened it with it just said corrupted file or wouldn't display properly.
jbodhorn

Postby summers » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:24 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '-') unfortunately blkid did not give a PARTUUID for that hdd (maybe not a GPT partition ?)

Try:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ls -l /dev/disk/by-partuuid/')
summers

Postby nayr1991 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:15 am

Hi guys,

Not sure if I'm in the same boat, if not I'll open a new thread:
Boot with no HDMI connected - boot fails, no blue LED.
Boot with HDMI connected to monitor - boot succeeds, no issues seen.

This is after updating system with -Syu and rebooting. I use this as a headless box, so having HDMI connected all the time isn't an option.
nayr1991

Postby moonman » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:07 am

Mine has never been connected to a monitor/tv and runs headless 24/7. Check journalctl for any errors.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Previous

Return to Samsung