XU4 kernel

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

XU4 kernel

Postby alfmel » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:26 pm

I have a couple of ODROID XU4 devices on my network. They are stable and continue to work well.

While upgrading them I noticed they are still running the "stock" ODROID kernel at 4.14.180. Can I use a stock kernel or is there an alternative to this ancient kernel? If so, which one? I read other posts about alternatives but they are nearly 2 years old. I want to know what the options are for Nov. 2023.

Thanks in advance.
alfmel

Re: XU4 kernel

Postby karog » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:44 am

I have two XU4's and I run the 6.2.10-1 kernel which is the same as on my N2+. It has been awhile since the kernel was updated for arch linux arm such that it has remained at 6.2.10-1.

I only run one of the XU4's and the other is a backup. On both of the XU4's I have periodic failures (usually a week or two) where somehow the file system becomes read-only and a simple power cycle successfully reboots. In fact, I bought the second XU4 to see whether it was a hardware problem but the problem persists. At least sometimes it seems to be triggered by high disk activity like when I am recording tv with mythtv and multiple shows stop and new ones start pretty much altogether.

If you want to try this, install the packages linux-armv7 and linux-armv7-headers.

Make a backup first in case you run into problems.
karog

Re: XU4 kernel

Postby glenno » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:00 am

As an alternative I run 4.14.312-1 from the AUR repo.make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, ' ', 'https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-odroid-xu3', '', ' class="postlink"')

I will try the 6.2 option when I get a moment, as systemd is now complaining:

systemd[1]: Warning! Reported kernel version 4.14.312-1-ARCH is older than systemd's required baseline kernel version
4.15. Your mileage may vary.

edit: the Forum markup code is breaking the post, but you get the idea!
glenno

Return to Samsung