The HP Chromebook (daisy spring).

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

The HP Chromebook (daisy spring).

Postby jus10 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:43 pm

If you haven't heard about the power adapter recall, this would be good reading to start: http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/11/impo ... ok-11.html

So at this point, full support for the Chromebook should effectively be in Arch. The default directions for the Samsung Chromebook should work on the HP with the exception of Step 12 Installing the nv_uboot. You still have to install it, but you have to use the spring image. The kernel image is now compatible with snow & spring, but the uboots are still different worlds.

Step 12 alternative for Spring:
wget https://github.com/jquagga/nv_uboot-spr ... g.kpart.gz
gunzip nv_uboot-spring.kpart.gz
dd if=/dev/nv_uboot-spring.kpart of=/dev/sda1

Whenever Google releases an "official" nv_uboot, I'll change the url to that. For now, I think this should work. If you're going to install to the eMMC, there is now a cgpt package you can install after you've gotten Arch up and running on the usb. That'll let you partition the eMMC for install.
Last edited by jus10 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jus10

Re: The HP Chromebook (daisy spring).

Postby abtrout » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:16 pm

I've been waiting for someone to write a post like this! I figured someone had to be working on it. I also attempted to compile my own nv_uboot-spring but it turned out to not be as straightforward as the chromeOS dev guide makes it sound. Glad to hear that you've got it working.

I look forward to taking advantage of your hard work and copying you as soon as I get home :)
abtrout

Postby jus10 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:27 am

Ok, I've successfully built the nv_uboot-spring image. This will work on the HP Chomebook the same way the snow image works on the Samsung.

URL: https://github.com/jquagga/nv_uboot-spring

Note: if you're using this you still need the modified linux-chromebook package. You can use the package in the https://db.tt/pniA7Php tar ball (but you no longer need to dd the kernel to sda1 - you'll want nvboot there).

If you're following along with the Arch Linux install directions for the Samsung Chromebook, I'd change step 12:

Assuming root is still mounted, mount /dev/sda2 root/boot
cd root/root
wget https://github.com/jquagga/nv_uboot-spr ... g.kpart.gz
wget https://db.tt/pniA7Php
gunzip the.kpart.gz
tar xf the.tar.gz
chroot /tmp/root /bin/bash
source /etc/profile (you're now "in" arch running on chromeOS crouton-style)
pacman -U the two packages to install the new kernel image
exit (to leave the chroot)
umount /tmp/root/boot
umount /tmp/root
sync

Continue on to step 14. Note I haven't vetted these directions as my system is already up on Arch.

Good luck!
Last edited by jus10 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jus10

Postby jus10 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Just a quick note that I've re-packaged the hpchromebook.tar.gz file up on dropbox. It now includes the nv-uboot.kpart.gz file & modified linux-hpchromebook packages. These are identical to linux-chromebook (but conflict with them) as they have the kernel.its set to use "spring". Installing them will kick the snow kernel out and put the spring in. The PKGBUILD files are also included there should you wish to build it yourself.

A few other notes on the system: as you go back and forth between ubooting from usb and ubooting from eMMC you might have to do the env defaults -f, saveenv, reset dance and potential cold boot the system. It continues to work fine for me though.

I haven't talked much about the system overall. It's basically the Samsung Chromebook repackaged with a nicer screen. It created a icc profile for it - it isn't 100% sRGB as it's missing a huge area of "red" (I believe it's 60-70% sRGB if I remember right) but it does have a lot of punch. Probably to draw attention and get sales. The internal clock resets on every boot; I have Openntpd started by NetworkManager when I connect to wifi and that wrangles it.

It's a nice little system but it's been a long road.
jus10

Postby abtrout » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:08 am

Thanks for the updated packages. It was easy to piece together the install from your tarball and the samsung instructions. Great! Now to do the same thing, but on the eMMC.
abtrout

Postby jus10 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:04 pm

So I’ve been thinking about how to integrate the HP Chromebook into the standard Samsung Chromebook install with minimal disruption to the existing snow users. The HP needs a different nv_uboot but that’s available now and a 1 time change to that one install step.

The other real difference is the need for a different uImage. The HP uses the same kernel config as the Samsung but needs a different dtb glued on. After chasing down a couple of other roads, I think have a proposal to do this. Why not create 2 uImage files as part of the linux-chromebook package and symlink to the right one in /boot?

Pros:
One package for Samsung and HP.
Package shouldn’t take much longer to build - uses same kernel; just builds a second uImage.
Still only one package to maintain.

Cons:
Package will be slightly bigger, and use up approximately 4Mb more of /boot
Install directions would need one additional step for both snow / spring to ln -s /boot/vmlinux-snow.uimg (or spring) to /boot/vmlinux.uimg. For upgrades, the package includes a post_install check and defaults to creating a symlink for snow (since spring users wouldn’t be using the existing package anyway).

I’ve modified the linux-chromebook package build files to accomplish this. Here’s a quick human rundown of what I’ve done. Or if you like git diff: https://github.com/jquagga/PKGBUILDs/co ... 732e851c76

I split kernel.its into kernel-snow.its and kernel-spring.its. Again exactly the same except one points to the snow dtb and the other to spring.
Instead of “make uImage modules” I’m “make zImage modules”. The uImage built in this step was never used anyway (it just generated a zImage built into a uImage with mkimage later on). I figured why waste the effort.
I’m copying both snow/spring.its into the tree to build both uImages.
mkimage runs twice building vmlinux-snow.uimg and vmlinux-spring.uimg
The package copies both vmlinux-snow.uimg and vmlinux-spring.uimg into /boot.

Finally, I added a quick if stanza to linux-chromebook.install for upgrading users. It creates a symlink to to the snow vmlinux if the symlink doesn’t already exist. This makes the assumption that most HP Chromebook Arch Linux users aren’t using the existing package since it doesn’t work for us.

So ... thoughts?
jus10

Postby cmyzie28 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks for providing nv_uboot for spring! :)

I have built and am using the chromos-3.8 kernel, but would really like to use a more recent mainline kernel. I tried using the config mentioned here:

http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/chromeb ... kernel.txt

but even after using the spring dts/dtb files from chromos-3.8, I would always get a black screen when I tried to boot it.

Anyone else have any luck with upstream kernels?
cmyzie28

Postby jus10 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:54 pm

I've been trying to get the mainline kernel to play nice and I'm working on a PKGBUILD for that (I have one for the 3.8 branch done). Right now it's giving me grief getting it to compile.

I've tried wcohen's approach in the past without success. He doesn't make a uBoot FIT image and his directions don't appear to append a DTB to the kernel so I'm not sure how his kernel even boots.

One of the problems for Spring is that there isn't even a dts file in the mainline kernel for Spring yet. But I haven't given up yet. I have another series of revisions / build tries to go through. If I get something working I'll pass it along.
jus10

Postby cmyzie28 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:08 pm

I didn't have too many problems getting a 3.12 mainline to compile using the same approach you use in your PKGBUILD. I just copied the spring dts file from chromeos-3.8 and deleted the bits that the compiler complained about. I wasn't sure if that was a great idea, so I also tried just using the dtb file I built for chromeos-3.8. Neither booted for me though.

Also, did you get the trackpad working in X? The keyboard and a USB mouse work fine for me without any configuration, but the trackpad doesn't respond even though it looks like it is recognized in the logs.
cmyzie28

Postby jus10 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:17 pm

It looks like we tried similar things to get 3.12 mainline up. At this point I think I'm staying on the 3.8 branch until the Spring lands in the mainline (or chromeos-3.10 stabilizes).

My trackpad has worked pretty much the whole time. Did you add the 50-touchpad.conf to the X11 conf as listed in the Arch Linux Arm Samsung chrome book directions? I don't think that would make it work if it wasn't. The only other though I had was to install the whole xorg package - maybe you're missing an input driver?
jus10

Next

Return to Samsung