The HP Chromebook (daisy spring).

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

Re: The HP Chromebook (daisy spring).

Postby cmyzie28 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:15 am

Thanks for the update. I am going to wait for official mainline support as well.

I ended up getting my trackpad working be forcing the "mtrack" driver in my xorg.conf. Otherwise it would default to evdev, which seemed fine in the logs, but just didn't work.
cmyzie28

Postby abtrout » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:33 pm

My touchpad worked by default, but not very well. Perhaps I just need to tweak the config file.

I've been trying to find graphics drivers (Mali T604) to get DRI support. Currently I'm using `xf86-video-armsoc` but have tried a few `xf86-video-mali` packages that I found on Github, the French AUR, and from malideveloper.arm.com. Based on Google searches that resulted in posts about the Samsung ARM Chromebook, I am less than hopeful =\

I didn't think to copy the ChromeOS drivers while I still had ChromeOs.

One weird problem I've had is with my wifi dropping. I can connect to my network with netctl and use the internet, but after some time I lose the ability to ping my router. Nothing changes in iwconfig, dmesg nor journalctl. It really looks as though I'm still connected and I can `netctl restart <profile>` to get back online.
abtrout

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:26 pm

video: welcome to Mali. Believe it or not, ChromeOS isn't using some magic DRI we're not, AFAICT. They are however, using some HW decoding.

As for the wifi.. yeah, I have this problem even on my ChromeOS install on the eMMC.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby jus10 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:32 pm

I'm using the fbdev frame buffer driver in X. I find I get better performance with it than I would with armsoc. You could proceed down the road to getting the mali dri driver up and running, if you like but I'm not sure that would add anything to 2D or video decoding. You'd just pick up OpenGL ES and OpenCL.

The most complete directions I saw for Mali on the Samsung/HP Chromebooks were here: http://malideveloper.arm.com/develop-fo ... hromebook/ but when I tried to implement their patches I couldn't even get the 3.8 branch to build. I figured it wasn't worth it. The video acceleration stuff is based on OpenMAX I gather but I don't believe the open implementations of OpenMAX support. Using the fbdev driver, the main CPU is fast enough to play 720p h.264 video. Everything else with that seems to work fine, other than if the screen blanks it never wakes back up again.

I haven't had the wifi drop out issue. I do however have uBoot forgetting what it's supposed to do every time I boot the machine. I have to type in run non_verified_boot and it boots up fine but it has a few marbles loose.

It's still a very fun machine :)
jus10

Postby jus10 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:50 am

I've updated the files posted on the hpchromebook.tar.gz package on dropbox. It now includes the updated unified chrome book packages based on the updated chrome-3.4 checked out today (previous image was a few months old). This should perform much better on the HP (it does on mine).

Link is in my second post in the thread (or Right Here).

The PKGBUILD that created this is on github here.

As always, I'd test on a USB key or spare install before committing to the install. If you've previously installed my hpchomebook packages, you'll have to uninstall those to install these since they take up the same space.
jus10

Postby jus10 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11 am

Just a public service announcement: Google now says to not plug the charger of this Chromebook in: http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/11/impo ... ok-11.html
jus10

Postby cmyzie28 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Any idea what the hold-up is with getting exynos5250-spring into mainline? Can't it just be merged from the chromiumos tree?
cmyzie28

Previous

Return to Samsung