Anyone with an experience of a Samsung chromebook

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

Anyone with an experience of a Samsung chromebook

Postby olive » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:50 am

I am planning to buy a laptop (in addition to my man PC) and I was tempted by the samsung chromebook: http://tinyurl.com/nv8qjpx

Archlinux should work on it, but does it run well? Are every hardware component supported? Does 3D acceleration works? My purpose is to turn this in a linux laptop and to really use it as I would use an ordinary x86 laptop.

How powerfull is it compared to an ordinary x86 laptop? I would be interested to see the output of

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
python3 /usr/lib/python3.3/test/pystone.py
')

(this is a benchmark, be careful the python2 and python3 version gives differents results, so we should always specify the version of python we use) (I got ~84000 on a intel corei3 @ 3.4 Ghz processor).

Many thanks to the one that will gives these results!
olive

Re: Anyone with an experience of a Samsung chromebook

Postby jus10 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:55 pm

I have the HP Chromebook 11 which is sort of a "re-spin" of the Samsung. At present it is fairly well supported, however acceleration for the Mali (video card) is limited. There are binary drivers but to get them working would be a bit of an uphill battle. So I wouldn't plan for 3D acceleration for some time (if ever) and there's no video acceleration. It can play a 720 h264 video file though.

I just ran your pystone benchmark. 22,727.3.

I think it depends what you're going to do with it. The main advantage to this guy is that it's cheap and it's fan less and has a SSD. It makes zero noise even under full load. I can browse the web, I can edit documents, and can edit code. Battery life is 4-ish hours (although will drop down significantly under load - playing a video for example will kill that). It's a nice little machine, for what it is but you could pay a bit more and get a more conventional laptop if that's what you're after.
jus10

Return to Samsung