XU emmc boot

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

XU emmc boot

Postby UncleSlug » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:23 am

I can follow the instructions and boot off an sd card (a crappy 4gb class 4 :oops: ) but i cannot get booting off emmc going.

If i ssh into it while running from sd i can mount the emmc and poke around so the hardware is all working. Following this just seems to ignore the emmc and install on the sdcard (though i used a newer image). Trying to boot that from the sd card after the self installer fails (probably because it's not emmc). Copying that sd card image to the emmc doesn't boot either. Putting the emmc self installer straight on the emmc doesn't work.

I'm not sure what things are the same and which need changing. This seems to be the process (for sd at least)?

Bootloader (binary blobs + u-boot) from after partition table (comes from xuboot.img)
u-boot looks at boot.ini from first partition
u-boot loads and executes zImage from first partition
zImage says hey there you are second partition now we are linux

So i have many questions :geek: .

So do I need a different bootloader image? What needs changing in boot.ini? Should the partition layout be different? Is the sd card always mmcblk0 and emmc mmcblk1 or is the boot device mmcblk0 and the other mmcblk1? Apparently there is a magic 4MB area for bootloaders hiding on the emmc? How does one access it without being a wizard?

Any help much appreciated because i am sick of looking at a lonely red led :cry: .
UncleSlug

Re: XU emmc boot

Postby UncleSlug » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:17 am

I wrote all of this then try a few more things and now it works :oops: .

Looks like the latest image doesn't install to the emmc properly where as this one which is in the old directory does.

So steps from the start:

1. Put the recovery image on an sd card using dd (in linux) or win32diskimager in windows.

2. With both the sdcard and emmc loaded on the board, the boot switches set to sd card (1:off 2:on), power on the board. The fan and green light should come on for a while. Then the fan and green light should go out, so pull the plug. This should put the boot loader in the emmcs magic hidden boot partition as well as android on the userspace part of the emmc.

3. Use the emmc reader adapter and fdisk or gparted to delete all of the partitions the recovery image put on there (there's like four). Add the boot and root partitions as per normal instructions (do not copy the xuboot.img with dd).

4. Mount the boot and root partitions, extract the root filesystem as per normal instructions.

5. Edit boot.ini so "run verify" is commented out. Change fb_x_res, fb_y_res, vout, hdmi_phy_res as necessary.

6. Copy root/boot to boot (cp root/boot/* boot).

7. Load emmc card to board change boot switches to emmc (1:on, 2:on). Power on.

8. Profit
UncleSlug

Return to Samsung