Odroid-U3 XBMC

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

Odroid-U3 XBMC

Postby Enverex » Fri May 30, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm sure I had this working in the past but I've just ressurected my Odroid-U3 and cannot get it to work. It's installed fine but when I try and run it I get...

ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting

Which isn't all that helpful. The log itself says nothing more specific either. glxgears works and glxinfo seems to imply everything is fine. Is there something that needs to be done for XBMC to work or does it simply not work on this hardware at the moment?
Enverex

Re: Odroid-U3 XBMC

Postby noneuclid » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:13 am

Which log has no useful information -- the X log? Which kernel are you using -- The stock Arch Arm kernel or the special Hardkernel verison? What version of xorg-server? Which video driver are you using -- fbturbo, armsoc, etc? Do you have mesa installed? Have you been able to successfully run glmark2-es2? (I believe glx is unaccelerated sw rendering only). Which version of XBMC -- Hardkernel offers their own patch versions as well.
noneuclid

Postby Enverex » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:16 am

Everything is stock, so whatever versions an up-to-date version of Arch ARM would be using (it uses the U2 kernel). The log I'm referring to is the XMBC log having no useful information beyond "Couldn't create window".

I'm using fbturbo as the X driver, Mesa is installed. XBMC is also whatever is installed from the default Arch ARM repos.

I haven't tried glmark2, I'll run that and report back.
Enverex

Postby Enverex » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:56 pm

Doesn't work (although glmark alone does).

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[odroid@moonstone ~]$ glmark2-es2
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
=======================================================
glmark2 2012.12
OpenGL Information
GL_VENDOR: VMware, Inc.
GL_RENDERER: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
GL_VERSION: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 10.1.4
[build] use-vbo=false:X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 72 (X_PutImage)
Serial number of failed request: 28
Current serial number in output stream: 30')

Not sure what I'm missing though, I can't find any working, comprehensive guides on how to get 3D working properly on Arch on this SoC.
Enverex

Postby noneuclid » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:08 pm

Are you trying to run XBMC in standalone mode under X and does the X log contain any useful error messages/warnings?

Hardkernel apparently compiles their own kernels/drivers and such as well as patched versions of xorg-server and xbmc -- the only way I was able to get accelerated graphics (and graphics in general) working properly was to use their stuff. For example, apparently mesa needs to be build without egl and have special mali headers to work properly. For Arch, this ODROID gentleman, and others, have done a lot of the work of getting everything to work right on the U2/3 and created PKGBUILDs based on the latest Hardkernel kernel release with Mali r4p0, latest xorg-server etc. https://github.com/gripped/odroid-u2-pkgbuilds. From there, you want linux-odroidu-r4p0 (headers are avail too), mesa-noegl, mali-odroid-r4p0, x86-video-armsoc-dsd, and xorg-server-dsd.

You'll also need an xorg.conf that looks something like the one in the latest goodies HK put out for r4p0 (http://builder.mdrjr.net/tools/mali-r4p0.txz has a sample). The armsoc driver isn't quite as fast as yet as the fbturbo driver but it still performs well enough in my experience to decode fullscreen 1080 video without any slowdown and XBMC should run fine. I don't think fbturbo currently works properly with r4p0 but I may be wrong.

This post has instructions for building the latest version of xbmc to play nice with the exynos soc/U2/3: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=0&t=4823&p=40975&hilit=xbmc#p40975. Hope this helps!
noneuclid

Postby noneuclid » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:32 pm

Forgot to add: You may need to --force mali-odroid-r4p0 when you install the package.
noneuclid

Postby Enverex » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:19 pm

I'm just trying to get it to run under XFCE4, so not standalone.

I'll check out the GITHub stuff, thanks. Just surprised this stuff isn't part of ALARM by default.
Enverex

Postby Enverex » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Christ, this stuff is going to take a million years to download and compile...
Enverex

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:07 pm

Heads up: there is actually a proper odroid-libgl package, thought it might get some work in the future.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Enverex » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:37 pm

I had noticed that, but it conflict with (but doesn't provide) mesa-libgl, consequently everything breaks as so much depends on the meta "libgl" which is no-longer provided. Surprised that was missed (unless it's deliberate and there's something I'm missing...).
Enverex

Next

Return to Samsung