ODROID-U3 Not booting from microSD Card

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

ODROID-U3 Not booting from microSD Card

Postby obedleza18 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:49 pm

I received an ODROID-U3+ with LUbuntu 14.04 running on a microSD Card. I'm trying to install archlinux but I can't get it to work. I followed the instructions in http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... /odroid-u3

By the way, I think those instructions have an error in step 4. Anyway, I followed the instructions correcting the error on Ubuntu 14.04. When I insert the microSD card into the board, ethernet and apply power, the OS doesn't seem to work. The red led of the board is on, but the blue led that indicates that the OS is alive is not blinking as usual. I can't even connect to the board by ethernet because the ethernet interface is not enabled, I think because archlinux is not booting correctly, since ethernet is working perfectly with the official LUbuntu 14.04 that I received from HardKernel on the microSD.

I followed the instructions with two different microSD cards. One class 10 of 16 GB and the other was the same I received with the ODROID. What can I do to make it work?

Thanks in advance!
obedleza18

Re: ODROID-U3 Not booting from microSD Card

Postby susu » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi,

Exactly the same issue here. I got my ODROID last year - I don't remember exactly when, but it was working flawlessly then. But now (with a fresh install) it seems broken.
susu

Postby susu » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Today I bought a micro-HDMI - HDMI cable to see something from boot procedure. But the screen went to power saving mode (I guess there was no signal).
PWR LED is constant red, but ALIVE LED remains dark forever.

It seems like it does not mount the root filesystem, I checked last mount time with tune2fs, but it still says the date when I wrote the SD card (Sep 13).

AFAIK U3 has no JTAG, I don't know how to further debug the problem. Maybe there should be some problem with the u-boot.bin? How can I debug further?
Should I open a github issue on https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... oot-odroid ?
susu

Postby susu » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:49 pm

Checked with Lubuntu whether it's a HW problem, but it works well with it.
susu

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:04 pm

It might help if you have the 1.8v TTL adapter for the serial console.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby susu » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Today I've created a 5V -> 1.8V TTL level converter (based on [url]this[/url]) for my USB serial (that is 5V). I've tried it with lubuntu, and I saw the boot procedure (there was some trash character, I don't know why). After that I flashed my SD card with Archlinux, attached the console, and BANG, it booted up. (I have used the same tar.gz as before, so I don't know what was the problem, but now it works without any problem.)

@obedleza18: I recommend to re-download and check md5 sum, and re-flash your SD card. Or try with another SD.

@WarheadsSE: there is a typo in the install instructions for ODROID-U3
In step no. 4, in the 2nd line:
bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-odroid-x-latest.tar.gz -C root

But it should be:
bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-odroid-u2-latest.tar.gz -C root
susu

Return to Samsung