XE303C12 status?

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

XE303C12 status?

Postby asg1448 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:30 am

I tried bought and recently to install ALARM onto a XE303C12 Samsung Chromebook. I could install and boot, however there were 2 major issues: one being no wifi due to (I believe) this bug: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8026, and then no X11 due to me being unable to get any graphics going, except for fbdev.

- It is my understanding that wifi issues can get fixed by downgrading. Are there alternative methods, such as manually loading firmware?

- are the video driver issues a known problem, or is it just me? If known issue, what's the fix?

Overall, is anyone successfully using Arch linux on this model, or any other linux flavor barring of course ChromeOS?
asg1448

Re: XE303C12 status?

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:58 pm

Uhm, X11 should work fine, even on fbdev... It doesn't have a 2D engine on the Exynos, so you aren't going to get fluid graphics anyways.

As for the firmware issue, yes, there is an issue. But you should indeed be able to get it to load. One option is to have it built into the kernel, the other is an appropriate patch.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby asg1448 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:25 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'U')hm, X11 should work fine, even on fbdev... It doesn't have a 2D engine on the Exynos, so you aren't going to get fluid graphics anyways.

I was able to run X11 without window manager. What you say makes sense, and I assume that rules out gnome3. Is there a "proprietary" video driver at all? This thing must have at least some GPU acceleration, since ChromeOS is running and capable of youtube and voip video in hangouts.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'A')s for the firmware issue, yes, there is an issue. But you should indeed be able to get it to load. One option is to have it built into the kernel, the other is an appropriate patch.

Does that mean I need to recompile kernel myself, or there's some simpler workaround? Is there a way to load firmware manually, through command line or something?
asg1448

Postby asg1448 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:43 am

I have successfully built kernel using instructions here: http://community.arm.com/docs/DOC-9494. However the kernel was built with ubuntu in mind, when I tried to apply it to archlinux installation, it didn't work: systemd showed tons of "no db file to read /run/usev/data/......: no such file or directory". I couldn't find a good kernel for XE303C12. Has there been an effort to compile successful mali kernel for chromebook on arch?
asg1448

Return to Samsung