OdroidXU won't connect to Ethernet. [REOPENED]

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

OdroidXU won't connect to Ethernet. [REOPENED]

Postby apokalypz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:11 am

I just decided to wipe my emmc on my odroidXU and reinstall arch. I flashed the odroidxu-latest image and it seems to boot OK judging by the LEDs. But it doesn't show up on my router's dhcp list. So, since I use the USB3 gigabit adaptor, I unplugged it and plugged it into the onboard 100Mb port. Still nothing even though the 2 Ethernet lights light up. Since it worked before the wipe and doesn't work after, I'm assuming it's an issue in the latest XU image.
Last edited by apokalypz on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
apokalypz

Re: OdroidXU won't connect to Ethernet.

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:52 pm

Could you please get us some kind of debugging information, because we're not seeing this.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: OdroidXU won't connect to Ethernet.

Postby apokalypz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:01 pm

I may have figured it out. My router doesn't assign new IP addresses to anything using networks in a dhcp configuration for some reason (which I guess is now the default config for arch images).

So my problem doesn't seem to be arch related, unless someone knows why a ac68u Asus router running tomato firmware won't provide ip addresses to anything running networkd's dhcp implementation?
apokalypz

Re: OdroidXU won't connect to Ethernet. [SOLVED]

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:03 pm

Do a tshark/pcap inspection to see if the solicitation and responses are there. It might be that it is having some sort of timing issue with ARP re-check to the offered DHCP-assigned address
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: OdroidXU won't connect to Ethernet. [SOLVED]

Postby apokalypz » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks. I actually just looked at the router's logs (they show the dhcp steps from request to ack/nack) and it doesn't appear to be getting a request from the odroidXU. So I decided to setup a static IP by changing the "eth0.network" config to a static address/gateway/dns like I just had to with another of my devices (how I figured out my router isn't giving dhcp IPs). The response was nothing.

My new theory is that it isn't making it past the boot. I get the blue flashing light, but think it's getting stuck right after. Unfortunately I don't have a method to test as I don't have the hardkernel UART adaptor, and I don't think I have anything that can communicate at the voltage expected.

Last I checked, the HDMI didn't work because there were no native fb drivers. I use it as a headless server so I haven't tested HDMI in a while. I guess that's the next step?
apokalypz

Re: OdroidXU won't connect to Ethernet. [REOPENED]

Postby apokalypz » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:12 am

OK, I tried again from scratch with the latest image from the 29th and I got a dhcp address on the first boot, yay. It does look like a problem with the last image then because a change from yesterday fixed it.

So I did some poking around and saw that the default network service is netctl again? I thought arch made systemd-networkd the default (that's how my other arch devices are setup by default). So I did research and discovered that dhcpcd is now arch's default manager according to their network wiki. So what's going on here, what is the official manager: netctl, networkd, or dhcpcd? I understand archlinuxarm is inherently different from the x86 line (thank you BTW for all you guys do), but damn.

Anyway, I tried to setup networkd for static eth0 with a /etc/systemd/network/eth0.network:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[Match]
Name=eth0

[Network]
DNS=192.168.1.1

[Address]
Address=192.168.1.102/24

[Route]
Gateway=192.168.1.1
')

And it kinda works, but doesnt:
•If I enable systemd-networkd and disable netctl's eth0, I can't login to my static ip via ssh.

•If I leave netctl eth0 enabled while systemd-networkd is enabled, I get 2 addresses on boot, 192.168.1.102 and another from dhcp. However only the dhcp address actually lets me ssh in. If I run 'ifconfig' it shows eth0's address as 192.168.1.102 when it is only accepting connections on the dhcp address. No doubt this is because networkd changed the address after sshd latched onto the dhcp address which came up first.

I just don't know why systemd-networkd is unable to manage my connection and bring up the interface if it's enabled on it's own. Is there something I'm missing?
apokalypz

Postby apokalypz » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:19 am

I feel like there is something I'm definitely doing wrong. I just got a XU3 to upgrade and am having a different, but similar problem.

When I plug in Ethernet to the built-in Ethernet port, I get static IPs for both my built-in Ethernet (eth0 and my USB Ethernet(eth1). I only really want eth1 setup because its the gigabit adaptor for usb3 and is much faster than the built-in. The problem is, I don't get any IPs if I don't plugin eth0...like eth0 events are only triggering the IPs.
apokalypz

Postby apokalypz » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:24 am

I don't consider it a solution, but I at least found a temporary workaround for both problems.

For the old XU, I'm using netctl with a static IP.

For the new XU3, I'm using networkd, but I disabled the built-in Ethernet module so my a six gigabit adaptor comes up as eth0. The only problem is (aside from not having built-in networking for emergencies) is my ssh attempts get refused for the first minute after bootup for some reason.
apokalypz

Return to Samsung