Unable To Install Arch on Odroid XU4

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

Re: Unable To Install Arch on Odroid XU4

Postby moonman » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:24 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('cachedrive', '*')Could the issue be that I'm configuring my microSD card w/ Arch from a CentOS 7 machine? I can't see why that would be an issue as I can wget / curl the image down from the internet and I can use fdisk to format the card w/ EXT4 so all the tools appear to be identical to what I would use on an Arch machine. Just noting this in case it matters...

It actually could be an issue, especially fdisk. Centos ships with older binaries for stability, so if you have older fdisk that by default starts on a wrong sector it won't work. Newer versions of fdisk use sectors, not cylinders.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby cachedrive » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:29 pm

I'm still unclear if my XU4 is faulty or if this is user error. I've performed the Arm Arch install on a Pi2 several times w/ no issues and that consist of two separate partitions versus the single EXT4 partition the XU4 requires. Obviously the Pi2 doesn't have the option of eMMC booting however I'd like to be 100% in knowing the issue is user error versus defective hardware. Is there a way I can narrow down my issue? Everyone is telling me that Arch works no issue on the XU4 and to make sure I have a UHS-1 class card (I do) and that the switch is correctly positioned to microSD position.
cachedrive

Postby karog » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:27 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Dings', 'H')i,
I've the same problem, but only when I try to install it on a eMMC .

Has anyone an idea what I can do or how i can get some information about what is going wrong?

See Odroid XU4 eMMC installation problem, third post for a solution that worked for me.
karog

Postby cachedrive » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:01 pm

I installed the official ODroid Ubuntu image from the hardkernel.org site so I'm now 100% convinced the XU4 unit is working perfectly fine. It loads Ubuntu (official) and Ubuntu Mate fork fine however I find those distros fairly disgusting and really want / love using Arch.

I'm going to give up based on the instructions and the amount of times I've ran through them. Unless there's something missing which I am not finding obvious in the instructions. This is the only SBC I've not configured a /boot partition w/ FAT32 which it doesn't appear to need. I ONLY have a ton of microSD cards (some class10 and some UHS-1) and no eMMC card. I don't think I'm going to invest in a eMMC card to get this working. I assume if it doesn't work on the microSD, it wont be much better on the eMMC and I'm not really interested in using specific / special media for my SBC's.

Anyone have any suggestions assuming I've ran through the entire install guide for the XU4 w/ zero errors and running the sync command in steps 5/6?
cachedrive

Postby cachedrive » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Did you have any luck with getting Arch Linux installed on your XU4? I got a hold of a completely new XU4 unit and decided to buy a card someone recommended off Reddit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55 ... ge_o00_s00

The card came in and I followed the guide exactly step by step. The only thing I can think of worth mentioning is the fact that I'm configuring the microSD card (installing Arch Arm Linux) from a Linux machine running CentOS 7.1 64-bit. I get no issues and successful message when perform the install however when I boot, I just see a solid red LED on both units. I can install Ubuntu and Android on the x2 XU4's and every microSD card I've failed w/ Arch. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm zero'ing out the beginning of the card and verifying the switch is NOT set to eMMC. I don't own eMMC module but that's my next step.
cachedrive

Postby sdrider » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:13 am

Following up from my earlier post: I have my odroid-xu4 running Arch now. I'm using eMMC. I followed the installation steps which require booting with the SD adapter first, then running the sd_fusing.sh script. It runs great on eMMC and is much faster than every other SDcard-based board I have (BBB, pi, pi2, odroidc1). Love the board!

Only mild nuisance is that noisy fan spinning up every so often. Has anyone put a quieter fan on theirs that they like and could recommend?
sdrider

Postby moonman » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:44 am

I have a northbridge heatsink on it. I had to get rid of the pins in the front of the board though to make it fit.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 2199148638
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby sdrider » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:44 pm

@moonman Awesome - thanks! That's a hard item to find, out of stock at most places. I found a site that still has them in stock and purchased one, I look forward to having my odroid-xu4 totally silent. Mine is used as my internet router, it replaced a pi2 doing the job previously. So it's extremely overpowered for the job (but I needed gigabit and USB3) so I don't expect to ever have heat issues, but for some reason the fan spins up for a couple seconds every so often. This heat sink should do the job nicely!
sdrider

Postby moonman » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:18 pm

It might be tough to get it on there as I said. I used the sticky heat tape from the original heatsink to protect other components from touching the new heatsink. I did leave space for the thermal grease so CPU touches heatsink directly. And as I said the pins on the front of the board have to come off and it will void your warranty!
If your device doesn't do much you can just unplug the fan and leave the original heatsink on. CPU has thermal protection so it will throttle itself down to not overheat. Of course performance will be lower
moonman
Developer

Previous

Return to Samsung