Unable To Install Arch on Odroid XU4

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

Unable To Install Arch on Odroid XU4

Postby cachedrive » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:49 am

I've tried to install Arch Linux on my new XU4 w/ no success. I've formatted my SD card as follows:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@archsvr ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd bs=1M count=8
8+0 records in
8+0 records out
8388608 bytes (8.4 MB) copied, 2.05231 s, 4.1 MB/s')

I then create a huge partition using fdisk utility as explained in the guide. I formatted the SD card using EXT4 as suggested from my Arch Linux X86 workstation:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@archsvr ~]# mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdd1
mke2fs 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
979200 inodes, 3911168 blocks
195558 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=2151677952
120 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
8160 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208

Allocating group tables: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (32768 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done')

I now created /mnt/root and mounted /dev/sdd1 to /mnt/root:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@archsvr mnt]# mkdir root
[root@archsvr mnt]# mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/root/ ')

Now all I need to do is wget the Arch image and install it on the new partition:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@archsvr mnt]# ls -l
total 212044
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 217123523 Dec 2 10:27 ArchLinuxARM-odroid-xu3-latest.tar.gz
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 7 21:15 root

[root@archsvr mnt]# bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-odroid-xu3-latest.tar.gz -C /mnt/root/
[root@archsvr mnt]# sync')

I unmount and pop the SD card into my Odroid and fire it up and only see a red light on the board. My USB peripherals never receive power nor does the device actually POST / boot up. I've ran through the instructions x3 times and all results are the same so I have either a faulty XU4 or I don't know how to Linux. I've replaced the SD card to make sure the card is not the issue.

Anyone see my fault(s) above?
cachedrive

Re: Unable To Install Arch on Odroid XU4

Postby moonman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:52 am

You haven't mentioned installing the bootloader.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby cachedrive » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:46 pm

It seems I did not read the instructions close enough. I was NOT using a UHS-1 class micro SD card. I was just using a Samsung class 10 micro SD I took from a spare RPi. Ordered the proper micro SD media.
cachedrive

Postby cachedrive » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Does anyone know if the XU4 REQUIRES a UHS-1 class card? I am using a class 10 Samsung card and it's not working. The instructions recommend a UHS-1 card but doesn't indicate it's required or preferred.

Thanks for any help!
cachedrive

Postby moonman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:01 am

Mine boots off of class 6 card (with rootfs on USB3 drive) so it should work. As i said, did you dd uboot to the card as you haven't mentioned it in your first post.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby cachedrive » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:02 am

I have now used x3 different class 10 (non-UHS-1) micro sd cards which all work on Arch Linux on my Pi's fine.

I'm following the instruction set for SSD as detailed here: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... odroid-xu4

The only addition is the fact I run the command 'sync' after step 5.2 for bsdtar.

Step 1: the 1st cmd I ran before I create the Linux (83) partition on /dev/sdd (my microSD) is:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd bs=1M count=8')
cachedrive

Postby moonman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:09 am

Did you do steps 6, 7 and 8 ? Double check step 8.
moonman
Developer

Postby cachedrive » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:12 pm

I've copied and pasted steps 1-7 exactly w/ the exception of the device name for my microSD is /dev/sdd and the partition is /dev/sdd1. I verified 6 ways from Sunday the dip switch is set to uSD and NOT eMMC module. I have done the installation on x3 unique microSD cards however none of them being UHS-1 class however many have reported success running Arch on way slower class cards (< 10).

I am using the 'sync' command after I run bsdtar and it actually takes a few minutes to drop back into a shell prompt so running sync after bsdtar in step # 5.2 appears to be doing something. Sadly I'm starting to think the issue is the actual XU4 itself.

I'm going to order a new XU4 from Amazon now and since I've got a new UHS-1 class card coming, I'll configure it w/ Arch as I've been doing and see if the new microSD card / new XU4 unit give me any results.

Does anyone thing the issue could be the XU4 considering all attempts appear to be identical and correct according to the installation guide. When I power the XU4 on, all I see is the RED LED to indicate it's receiving power. I never see a blue LED to indicate it's booting.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am so excited to use this XU4 but not using Arch is a huge deal break for me.

*Could the issue be that I'm configuring my microSD card w/ Arch from a CentOS 7 machine? I can't see why that would be an issue as I can wget / curl the image down from the internet and I can use fdisk to format the card w/ EXT4 so all the tools appear to be identical to what I would use on an Arch machine. Just noting this in case it matters...
cachedrive

Postby Dings » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi,
I've the same problem, but only when I try to install it on a eMMC .
I followed every step until it I've to boot it with the sd adapter and the switch on 'mu'SD.

It does not boot and the red power light is on.

When I install it on a microSD card everything works. Also the OS installed on the eMMC, when it was delivered worked in eMMC mode. I did not test it with the adapter first, but since I can make the steps 1-7 I would say the adapter works.

Has anyone an idea what I can do or how i can get some information about what is going wrong?
Dings

Postby sdrider » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:09 am

Just ordered my XU4 from Ameridroid today after confirming it was in the ALARM arch menus - my primary requirement is that it run Arch. After ordering, I was just browsing various forums to read up on the XU4 and happened on this thread. I see the most recent messages are users reporting issues with both SD and eMCC - not good! I ordered an eMCC so we'll see how it goes for me.

I opted NOT to buy the USB-UART cable because the Arch installs are usually so reliable. Hopefully I don't run into this problem. Even if I don't, I'll post back as even positive confirmation which I know can be helpful for those trying to troubleshoot.

But for now, I can say from having gone through this with a BeagleBone Black years ago, that UART cable is priceless when things aren't working on bootup. Watching the console with the BBB, I was able to see the problem and search for the exact error that then led me to a forum post with a solution. I never would have found the error post and solution without that exact error from the console.
sdrider

Next

Return to Samsung