Newbie question

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Samsung SoC.

Newbie question

Postby decosse » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:03 pm

I'm interested in obtaining an Odroid XU4 and installing Arch Linux and just doing my homework ahead of the process.
I'm still a novice in Linux although I have been using Linux Mint for some time and I'm interested in creating an Arch Linux desktop with Cinammon to run on the XU4 - I've also created some different boot images for a Pi (but not Arch)
But completely new to Arch - it should provide a good vehicle to improve my knowledge.

Please excuse this Rookie question regarding getting started:

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... odroid-xu4

I follow the MicroSD or eMMC creation up to step 10 - I'm confused regarding the requirement to log in remotely to start the process - my initial question is simply why you must SSH into the newly installed system as opposed to being able to proceed directly on the target machine?
(I'm not questioning whether there is need to, just trying to understand why it must be done this way as the guides are aimed at directly booting on the medium itself)
And what is next step once you log in as root on the SSH terminal - are you presented with the boot menu for the local machine and proceed to install to the target remotely? At what point in the process are you then logging into the target machine directly?

My apologies, I have been reading the Wiki but it's unclear to me where you transition from SSH to direct log-in on the target machine to proceed with the set-up - or will it become self-evident if I 'just do it!'?
I feel fairly comfortable working through the set-up with the info the wiki and some good video tutorials but remain confused about this transitional step.
Thank you for your patience & indulgence!
decosse

Re: Newbie question

Postby moonman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:07 pm

Installation = creation of sd/eMMC with the os core files. When you put that sd into your xu4 you already have OS installed.

SSH is for rhose who use the device headless (i.e. no monitor, keyboard or mouse). If you wish to have it connected to alll these, then there is no need to ssh into the device.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: Newbie question

Postby decosse » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:44 pm

Thankyou moonman - it was confusing because it reads like it is a requirement to remotely connect
decosse

Return to Samsung