Welcome to armv7!

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Texas Instruments (TI) SoC.

Re: Welcome to armv7!

Postby tuxfusion » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Thank you for the good news and feedback ! Can't wait to remove angstrom from panda. It turned out quite okay, however not Arch =)
tuxfusion

Postby Frex » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Cool! If the video card were to be supported it could be turned an awesome HTPC. Tegra2 devices such as the Trim Slice also look very promising, too.
Frex

Postby kmihelich » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:56 am

If there are Linux drivers, we'll get it supported.

We are compiling specifically for Cortex-A series architectures. This is where the market seems to be headed for the next level of low-power awesomeness. Just about all the major set-top and development boards are being based on this architecture, whether from TI or nVidia. If you see OMAP3xxx, OMAP4xxx, Cortex-A8, or Cortex-A9, we're in that boat now.

Obviously this isn't as simple and straight-forward as plug computers, there is a wide variation of hardware between platforms. Even between BeagleBoard original and the xM, ethernet is handled differently. But this is also where the community has its power. Once one of us lays out how to handle the individual quirks, identify which software to compile specifically to take advantage of a certain hardware feature, everyone benefits.

The repository is being built as I write this, with over 500 packages done in the last day. Give us a couple weeks to get it stabilized, and rootfs images will be out. Right now we only have two devices to test on, BeagleBoard original and the xM. If you have a PandaBoard, Tegra2, or any other Cortex-A device, hop on irc.freenode.net in #Arch Linux ARM and find one of us! You'll get in on this early development stage and get your platform running.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby Frex » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:23 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'I')f there are Linux drivers, we'll get it supported.

Of course, although at least for the Tegra2 I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of binary blob provided :roll:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'I')f you have a PandaBoard, Tegra2, or any other Cortex-A device, hop on irc.freenode.net in #Arch Linux ARM and find one of us! You'll get in on this early development stage and get your platform running.

You're probably already aware of this, but I'll point it out anyway... the XBMC guys have been successful in building for the AppleTV2. They ought to be using Ubuntu (or Debian), the hardware is pretty close, A8 + PowerVR SGX 535.

PS: for those interested in getting something like that, it might be a worthy option seeing as it's far easier to find one and also cheaper compared to the Panda.
Frex

Postby Frex » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Yeah it's an app for jailbroken ATVs, I was misled by the mentions of apt-get I had been eyeing around :oops:
Frex

Postby pepedog » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:23 am

This pricked my interest, first I want a Trim Slice.
Next, tried xmbc on x86 (which is in their community repo), looks nice.
Poking around looking at xmbc in x86 aur, boxee is an offshoot of xmbc.
At one time boxee people were considering tegra for their hardware.
So I come a full circle and want a Trim Slice NOW.
pepedog
Developer

Postby android » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:14 pm

Hello,

I just brought home a new pandaboard from Embedded Linux Conference in San Francisco.

Being a long time archlinux user I can't wait to run my favorite disto on this new hardware.

With the heavy lifting graphics hardware, DSP coprocessor, battery/power mgmt, this SBC is definitely aimed at mobile graphics and video applications. Ethernet is over USB, so this hardware isn't really oriented to being a router or other network centric appliance (unless you have an idea that requires 1080p HD video out of your router 8-)

Is there any new news about creating a Arch Linux ARM SD card image for pandaboard?

Thanks for all the great work in bringing "the best linux distro" to ARM! 8-)

johnea
android

Postby kmihelich » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:28 pm

The new ARMv7 repo is at around 1700/4000 total packages right now. There are still some major parts of the package ecosystem that need to be compiled before release. I've been busier with life this last week, but I should have some time to focus back on getting it finished up by the end of this week. I'll aim for a general release on Cinco de Mayo. :P

All discussions on new developments happen on IRC, so feel free to join us there.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby falker » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:00 pm

Guess this also is gonna work on the toshiba ac100?
falker

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:06 pm

It's running a tegra2, so in theory, it ought to fly with the appropriate drivers, etc.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Next

Return to Texas Instruments (TI)