fw_env.config setting for Beaglebone White?

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Texas Instruments (TI) SoC.

fw_env.config setting for Beaglebone White?

Postby sewakota » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:24 am

I have fw_printenv installed, but the sample settings in /etc/fw_env.config all refer to a /dev/mtd device, that the white BeagleBone does not have. What are the correct settings for this device so that fw_printenv will work?

I am trying to change the mounting of the root filesystem to 'ro', but before I try to write a uEnv.txt to do that, I need to see what the existing settings look like.
sewakota

Re: fw_env.config setting for Beaglebone White?

Postby summers » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:18 am

The beagle family changed how boot is configured some time ago. uboot has several boot options, the old one was to read environmental variables from flash, but for some time now uboot looks for a file boot.scr on a file system it can access. This is probably how you machine is set up.

So look in /boot - you should fine a /boot/boot.txt - that you can compile into /boot/boot.scr. Boot.txt is easier to understand than the old environmental variables, they were tree like, with one variable calling another, and so on. Boot.txt is sequential, so the command sequence is read, typical things like if an initramfs is found, then boot with that.

Anyway you can set the boot command line there (bootargs), not sure how it gets passed anymore, e.g. it may be written into the device tree - as the options passed directly onto the booting kernel are the addresses of the dev tree and initramfs ...

E.g. see: https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/armv7h/uboot-beaglebone/files/boot.txt
summers

Return to Texas Instruments (TI)