[SOLVED] Problems getting boot working properly on trimslice

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Texas Instruments (TI) SoC.

Re: Problems getting boot working properly on trimslice

Postby bmentink » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 am

Ok, something weird going on with my hardware, after booting from power off 3 times, the screen suddenly came up again on Ubuntu.

My ext3 filesystem Arch install became corrupted (The SD card is not recognised by any machine), so I am back to rebuilding the card .. I will do it in ext2 format this time, and see if it is more stable.

By The way, when I do a pacman -Syu in a chroot environment, when it gets to the point of installing the files, I see lot's of these style errors:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '(14/50) upgrading libgcrypt [################################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_5H03p9/.INSTALL: line 7: /dev/null: Permission denied
/tmp/alpm_5H03p9/.INSTALL: line 7: /dev/null: Permission denied
error: command failed to execute correctly')

Does anyone know if this is benign?
bmentink

Postby kmihelich » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 am

Because you don't have /dev and other system directories remounted in the chroot. Can be ignored in some cases.

Why are you running in a chroot?
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby bmentink » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:01 am

Because that is what the installation guide tells me to do! .. and I quote ..

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'N')ext, you'll chroot into the installation to update everything and install a new kernel and drivers before you can boot:
sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf etc/resolv.conf
sudo chroot .
pacman -Syyu # Say yes to upgrade pacman
pacman -Syu # Also say yes to update everything else
pacman -S kernel26-trimslice # Say yes to replace the current kernel
pacman -S kernel26-headers-trimslice # Yep, here too
pacman -S nvidia-trimslice uboot-mkimage
# Don't exit yet!

Anyhow, I have my new ext2 based filesystem booting, have X installed and XFCE, but still do not see anything on the DVI-D monitor(either with startx or startxfce4 ), do I have to tell X to use a particular head on the display, and if so, how?

Thanks for your help.
bmentink

Postby kmihelich » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:03 am

Thought you were in a chroot for some other reason. I believe HDMI is the primary output, and I've heard that it needs to be active at boot or it doesn't work. Lots of different advice out there. I don't have video hooked up to mine, so I don't have any first-hand ideas.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby bmentink » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:20 am

Oh, I suspected as much. My test monitor only has DVI-D input or a "DisplayPort" input not HDMI, so does that mean I cannot run Arch on the DVI?
bmentink

Postby kmihelich » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:22 am

You should be able to go HDMI->DVI. You just lose the HDCP crap in the process, which doesn't matter in this case.
kmihelich
Developer

Postby bmentink » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:12 am

Thanks. Did that, works just fine .. :D

I have XFCE up and running and it is nice and snappy!

Wanted to try playing a 1080i video to see how it performed. First tried mplayer with all the different -vo options, but I don't seem to have any accelerated video on any of them, played very slow, dropping a lot of frames.

Tried VLC next, but that would not launch, seems to have a pulseaudio dependancy ..

Anyone know the best way to get a video player using the accelerated video ..

Thanks.
bmentink

Postby molocia » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:58 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bneate', 'I')f you are connecting your display to the trimslice using the HDMI port there is a issue where the port is not enabled until a x server is started up. Since arch doesn't install/start a x server by default you need to do that manually before you can get any display output on the HDMI port. You can either do this when you are in the chroot while installing arch or using a ssh/serial connection when arch is running on your trimslice.

Thank you, I knew it was something really obvious like this

Should I mark this as solved now even though other issues have been discussed in it?
molocia

Previous

Return to Texas Instruments (TI)