Can't boot Beagleboard-XM zImage not found

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Texas Instruments (TI) SoC.

Can't boot Beagleboard-XM zImage not found

Postby lautarox » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:17 pm

Following the tutorial on the web: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/ti/beagleboard-xm .
It seems to be asking for the zImage but the kernel from the archlinux's tutorial only has an uImage.
I'm getting:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')U-Boot SPL 2014.01 (Feb 02 2014 - 14:24:34)
reading u-boot.img
reading u-boot.img

U-Boot 2014.01 (Feb 02 2014 - 14:24:34) Arch Linux ARM

OMAP3630/3730-GP ES1.2, CPU-OPP2, L3-200MHz, Max CPU Clock 1 Ghz
OMAP3 Beagle board + LPDDR/NAND
I2C: ready
DRAM: 512 MiB
NAND: 0 MiB
MMC: OMAP SD/MMC: 0
*** Warning - readenv() failed, using default environment

In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Beagle xM Rev C
No EEPROM on expansion board
No EEPROM on expansion board
Die ID #201a00029ff80000016071641702a016
Net: usb_ether
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
mmc0 is current device
gpio: pin 173 (gpio 173) value is 0
gpio: pin 4 (gpio 4) value is 0
SD/MMC found on device 0
143 bytes read in 11 ms (12.7 KiB/s)
Loaded environment from uEnv.txt
Importing environment from mmc ...
Checking if uenvcmd is set ...
Running default loadimage ...
** File not found /boot/zImage **
Booting from nand ...

no devices available
Bad Linux ARM zImage magic!
** File not found /boot/zImage **
OMAP3 beagleboard.org #

Thanks in advance.
lautarox

Re: Can't boot Beagleboard-XM zImage not found

Postby beatgammit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:04 pm

I have the exact same problem on a Beaglebone Black. For me, it occurred after a $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Syu'). Before that, it booted just fine.

If this seems like a separate issue, let me know.

Here's the pastebin of the packages that were updated, shutdown (I manually pressed the reset switch after filesystems were unmounted) and boot.
beatgammit

Postby PLyttle » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Upon occasion I find that zImage has not been written correctly after an update. As far as I can tell this happens only when I upgrade a fresh install. It seems like a timeout error occurs during the file write phase. zImage will be present but with length zero. and the system reboots.
I now just ignore the kernel package when I upgrade after an install. Only when synced correctly, I upgrade the kernel.
I never investigated the cause of this, I don't make a fresh install that often. I'm assuming there is interference with one or more of the many packages marked for upgrade.

Oh, just to clarify, My case is with the beaglebone black...

LP
PLyttle

Postby beatgammit » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:29 am

Ah, that seems to fix it. I didn't run sync last time. I did it this time and it took a while, so I guess that was my problem.

Every time I run pacman now I see "synchronizing filesystems", so perhaps that was added to pacman after the version of pacman that comes in the tarball.

Anyway, my BeagleBone Black is now up and running! Thanks!!
beatgammit

Postby kmihelich » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:50 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('lautarox', 'I')t seems to be asking for the zImage but the kernel from the archlinux's tutorial only has an uImage.

You've somehow download the wrong thing; the tarball in the installation instructions only has a zImage and dtb files.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('beatgammit', 'E')very time I run pacman now I see "synchronizing filesystems", so perhaps that was added to pacman after the version of pacman that comes in the tarball.

Yes, this is a new thing we've patched into pacman since a majority of issues stem from all writes not being completely flushed to disk, especially on systems running on SD cards, particularly when people reboot right after installing hundreds of MB of packages.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby beatgammit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:07 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'Y')es, this is a new thing we've patched into pacman since a majority of issues stem from all writes not being completely flushed to disk, especially on systems running on SD cards, particularly when people reboot right after installing hundreds of MB of packages.

This could probably be submitted upstream, no? It's less likely to happen on faster disks, but it's safer.

Also, perhaps the tar should be updated with the patched version?
beatgammit

Postby kmihelich » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:13 pm

I may submit it for inclusion upstream. The new version will be in rootfs tarballs when they're all updated for May.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Return to Texas Instruments (TI)