Cannot SSH into my BBB

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Texas Instruments (TI) SoC.

Cannot SSH into my BBB

Postby necbot » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:25 pm

I have a Beaglebone Black and went through the installation process described here... http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/ti/beaglebone-black

I inserted the SD card and held down the button by the SD card and the device booted fine. I know that it booted fine because I can see it on my router (ethernet connection) as "alarm", NOT as "beaglebone", which was the computer name given by debian (installed on the emmc). My problem is that, I cannot ssh into it like the instruction said I would be able to do. The problem is that the ssh server does not start. I verified this by running...

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'nmap -sT -p 22 alarm')

and I got....

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Starting Nmap 6.47 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-09-06 17:19 EDT
Nmap scan report for alarm (192.168.1.197)
Host is up (0.0018s latency).
rDNS record for 192.168.1.197: alarm.lan
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp closed ssh')

I also tried to scan all ports thinking that the port had been assigned to another number. All ports were closed. How do I fix this? The instructions say that I can ssh in so I assumed that the ssh server would be enabled. Why isn't it enabled? Thanks.
necbot

Re: Cannot SSH into my BBB

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:24 am

It should have been enabled. The fact that it has an issue tells me that it is likely there was a problem in the generation of the ssh host keys had an issue. You will likely find them on the rootfs as a 0 byte file. You can delete these from offline and they will be regenerated on the next boot.

Out of the box, the power button should shut down the BBB.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to Texas Instruments (TI)