BBB Freezes under I/O load (Kernel 3.17+ only)

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Texas Instruments (TI) SoC.

BBB Freezes under I/O load (Kernel 3.17+ only)

Postby germano » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:05 am

Hi,
starting sometime in mid-december, somewhere in the 3.17.x kernel updates line, my BeagleBone Black started freezing at random when placed under I/O. Short story first, this wasn't solved with 3.18 (as of yesterday), but reverting to the legacy kernel (3.8.13-37-ARCH) seems to fix it, so I'm wild-guessing it's kernel related.

I'm using the BBB disconnected from a monitor and connected to my home LAN via Ethernet, to download (legal) torrents, and FTPing them to a NAS. No USB is attached, and filesystem is only EXT4, both on the SD and on the eMMC. I'm booting from eMMC, with home partition on the SD. At some time I also reinstalled from scratch, but the bug was still there.

The freeze happens while torrenting only (I tried both rTorrent and Deluge), or when transferring files, both with FTP and over SSH. It seems to happen more if the bandwidth use is relatively high (>500KB/sec), at least 4 times per day.

I cannot see the HDMI output; I tried logging both dmesg and journalctl, but both logs don't show anything peculiar right before freeze. I don't know what to check, more than this.

Yesterday I reverted to legacy kernel (as of now, it's 3.8.13-37) and after a day of heavy usage (also with USB and exfat) it didn't hang. This seems to be kernel related...

Did anyone experience this? Any hint on how to debug it better, or how to solve it?

Thanks a lot, and compliments for the wonderful work,

Germano

PS: I could stay to legacy kernel, but as I plan to use BTRFS in the future I'd like very much to stay up-to-date
germano

Return to Texas Instruments (TI)