BBB boot hangs if SD card present and no BOOT button press

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Texas Instruments (TI) SoC.

BBB boot hangs if SD card present and no BOOT button press

Postby pedronf65 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:05 pm

I saw a few posts describing this issue so I'm creating a new post with all the info.
I made a new SD card with Arch Linux inside it. Two partitions, one for the boot and another for the root file system, as I say in the howto page.
My BBB has the default Angstrom distro in its emmc and it is working. With no SD card it will boot into Angstrom.
Now if I insert my SD card and don't press the BOOT button, the 3 first LEDs will light but then it will hang, nothing happens.
If I press the BOOT button then it will boot from my SD card.
So I went back and booted from emmc, no SD card. I checked the devices names, the emmc will be /dev/mmcblk0. If now I insert the SD card it will go into /dev/mmcblk1.
If I press the BOOT button and boot from my SD card, then the SD card will be /dev/mmcblk0 and the emmc will be /dev/mmcblk1. Aha! Pressing the BOOT button in fact inverts the devices names!
Looking at the git history for uEnv.txt I can see that it used to handle these device name changes but now it is only one line long with "optargs=coherent_pool=1M". Why?!?
I still have no solution for this but it is definitely related with device names and uEnv.txt default behavior.
Please post any solutions here, I'll try to find one solution myself. A final solution that can be ported into the git repository.
pedronf65

Return to Texas Instruments (TI)