Running ALARM on AM335x Starter Kit

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Texas Instruments (TI) SoC.

Running ALARM on AM335x Starter Kit

Postby nanihikaru01 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:00 pm

I have a AM335x Starter Kit board which I believe is essencially BB and I am having some issue running ARCH on it. I was able to use the latest BBB uboot+kernel and boot into console with a display screen, however that's about the extend of it. The board has a JTAG over UART which I am able to serial into a console and do certain things. however I can not get any network working nor make lsusb works. I am wondering if anyone has any experience regarding troubleshooting these issues? My guess is that the board uses different drivers/chips for the peripherals so some of the kernel driver isn't included in the distro. Any help is appropriated. Thanks.
nanihikaru01

Re: Running ALARM on AM335x Starter Kit

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:44 pm

The highest chance is that there are pinmux differences, and this is why the BBB kernel doesn't work "correctly" on it. You'll want a DTB for it, or use a patch set to the linux-am33x-legacy kernel.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: Running ALARM on AM335x Starter Kit

Postby nanihikaru01 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:43 pm

Thanks for the help.

I went through a lot of documents on the DTB and seems like the Beagle Bone and BBB distro does have the dtb for this board.

I see this in U-Boot's printenv
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
board=am335x
board_name=A335X_SK
findfdt=if test $board_name = A335BONE; then setenv fdtfile am335x-bone.dtb; setenv fdtbase am335x-bone; fi; if test $board_name = A335BNLT; then setenv fdtfile am335x-boneblack.dtb; setenv fdtbase am335x-boneblack; fi; if test $board_name = A33515BB; then setenv fdtfile am335x-evm.dtb; fi; if test $board_name = A335X_SK; then setenv fdtfile am335x-evmsk.dtb; fi; if test $fdtfile = undefined; then echo WARNING: Could not determine device tree to use; fi;
')
and it is pulling the correct dtb file (cause the system won't boot after I renamed the am335x-evmsk.dtb file)

I guess i will try the legecy kernel then....
nanihikaru01

Return to Texas Instruments (TI)