How to get Beagle Bone Black legacy source code?

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Texas Instruments (TI) SoC.

How to get Beagle Bone Black legacy source code?

Postby Cdcn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:26 pm

So I am on a BBB with 3.8.13-39 and I use abs to pull the PKGBUILDs. When I build the linux-am33x-legacy though, I don't get a kernel booting unless I pull the firmware (am335x-pm-firmware.bin) and a copy of the am335x-boneblack.dtb, I don't understand why these are not included. Even then, I need to hack into the serial port code to finally get this output on the console:

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x00000e05).

This machine id matches AM335XEVM in mach-types. Obviously there is code somewhere to make an image that works properly on BBB. How come am I not getting this code when I do a makepkg? Is somebody hoarding that code and who?

The root cause of me wanting to build the kernel is because I want to try and fix the serial port driver. It obviously does not support xon / xoff properly, and I hope I can fix it or at least try, if only I could get the source code booting though.

Thanks
Cdcn

Re: How to get Beagle Bone Black legacy source code?

Postby moonman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:13 pm

How are you using abs if this kernel is not in abs. It has been removed from our github to in favour of linux-am33x and linux-ti.

You can still get PKGBUILD from git history though: https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... 33x-legacy
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby Cdcn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:26 pm

The git history does not seem to help. For instance, a driver called capemgr should be part of the source code, but it is not. :cry:
Cdcn

Postby moonman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Take a closer look. There are patches that are applied in pkgbuild.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby Cdcn » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:12 pm

I know about the patches and I see them. The makepkg says the patches are applied fine, but the capemgr still does not appear. It seems to me part of the patches fail silently and the PKGBUILD process just goes on...
Cdcn

Postby Cdcn » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:34 pm

So in PKGBUILD there is a "git apply" for one of the patches, but it does nothing. If I modify the git apply to a patch instead, then I seem to get the source code, but also circular dependencies on Kconfig. I understand that this is a mess, but I do need to get this compiling and booting. Has anybody been succesful at this recently? I mean with all the capemgr stuff in there and without Kconfig circular dependencies? The dependencies seem to be mostly about frame buffers, which I don't use, not using video. Any trick to remove those dependancies easily?
Cdcn

Postby moonman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:48 pm

Don't build in git checkout and git apply will work
moonman
Developer

Postby Cdcn » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:38 pm

What does not building in git checkout mean?

I tried rm -Rf * and then doing the checkout again from clean (BTW I need to change the uboot-mkimage dependency to uboot-tools, I guess the package name has changed).

I tried makepkg --nobuild, but the file capemgr.c does not appear, so it's not that.

I tried makepkg from an other directory than the checkout, with -p option, but I get the error that PKGBUILD should be in the current working directory.

How else do I not build in git checkout?

Thanks.
Cdcn

Postby Cdcn » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:49 pm

I could make it build with replacing git apply with patch. The only problem I have is there is a failure in the process and I have to do some of the steps by hand, otherwise it builds now. For some reason though, the git apply silently does absolutely nothing.
Cdcn

Postby moonman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:56 am

You do
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'git clone https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs.git')

PKGBUILDs is then your git checkout.

Now you can either

1. cp -a PKGBUILDs/core/linux-<whatever your kernel is> <some other directory>
and build in <some other directory>

<some other directory> has to be outside of PKGBUILDs directory

2.https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De ... ean_Chroot and use devtools-alarm

You never mentioned the error you get.
moonman
Developer

Return to Texas Instruments (TI)