Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 nVidia SoC.

Re: Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:28 am

@vman: could you please upload a working build of kernel 4.18/4.19?
NoDiskNoFun

Postby vman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:10 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('NoDiskNoFun', '@')vman: could you please upload a working build of kernel 4.18/4.19?

Unfortunately neither of the two is working well enough for me to be using it. I think wi-fi was still broken with my last 4.18 attempt.

I made a lot more attempts with the 4.19 in development, since I'm hoping to get that running properly before release, if possible - although I'm not sure when and where to report my different problems. I reported the screen issue in the #tegra developers' chat, which might still lead to a fix. For the rest I'm basically hoping it will get fixed anyway, as 4.19 progresses.

Today, with 4.19 'just after RC3', was a big improvement over my last attempt, still with RC2: there the built-in keyboard would not work, and I had to connect an external keyboard to actually log in. Today the internal keyboard was working again. Also, today was the first time in a long time, that I saw the battery indicator working, instead of steadily showing 50%! But wifi did not work, and even connecting my usb-to-ethernet adapter would not allow for a connection to the network. So this kernel still is mostly useless to me.

One thing I'm still waiting for (apart from the battery indicator) is video decoding acceleration! Watching YouTube in HD currently is the only reason I'm still booting ChromeOS occasionally, on the CB5-311.

I'll definitely post my config here, and the steps to reproduce what I did, once I have a reasonably working recent kernel again... but probably not a full kernel binary, unless you can't reproduce what I did, @NoDiskNoFun. Compiling the kernel with my config takes around an hour or so - not very long, since most modules are disabled. I'm used to much worse compile times, e.g. from compiling KDE with MacPorts on a PPC iMac (on which I was dual-booting Linux too, of course)...
vman

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:37 am

@vman Posting your config would be nice. So what i need is just download kernel source from AUR? I've build linux kernels before on my TF101 (Tegra 20), so yeah things should be a bit faster on my K1 now :D
Plus how do i confirm working hwacc? I started glxgears with disabled vsync which gives me about 300FPS. Also with --info parameter it shows tegra and NVidia so is it working or not?
I tried building ppsspp but it stop because of DSO missing in libGL (i think it was GLStencil or something like that)
NoDiskNoFun

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:46 pm

I succefully build Arx Libertatis. Running that gives me:

[I] Startup:173 Starting Arx Libertatis 1.1.2
[I] Application:174 Changing filenames to lowercase...
[I] Application:227 Using config file "/home/alarm/.config/arx/cfg.ini"
[I] SDLWindow:71 Using SDL 1.2.15
[I] OpenGLRenderer:123 Using OpenGL 3.1 Mesa 18.1.8
[I] OpenGLRenderer:126 ├─ Vendor: NVIDIA
[I] OpenGLRenderer:129 └─ Device: tegra
[I] ArxGame:555 Auto-selected fullscreen resolution 1366x768@32

seems fine. OpenGL, Nvidia, tegra detected. But it runs at a very low framerate. With offical NVidia driver it ran supersmooth. What did i wrong?

edit: I disabled compositor which gave me a bit more FPS but not much :/
also my cursor is flickering all the time, maybe i've set wrong Hz for that system? (it's set to 60,01Hz)
NoDiskNoFun

Postby vman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '@')vman Posting your config would be nice.

NoDiskNoFun, you seem mostly interested in 3D acceleration. This is working reasonably well for me on Linux 4.15.15 already. So I'm attaching my /proc/config.gz, the configuration of my running kernel. It just does not have a battery indicator.

So I'm using the Linux sources directly from kernel.org, or from Linus' git. But wait, you already have 3D working anyway? I think your speed is about what you can expect with the reverse-engineered nouveau drivers. There is one big possible performance gain you might be missing, though:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')"echo 0f > /sys/kernel/debug/dri/129/pstate" (and cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/129/pstate to see available power states)

That's something I learned here on the forum. For me it made quite a difference when going to Google Earth (currently not possible with open source browsers, it seems), or when playing an advanced picture slide show with DigiKam. The difference with glxgears is not that impressive, though: from 370 to 460 fps.

As for compiling the patched (see my previous posts) latest kernels, I pretty much used the same config. In a post in March I described in more detail how I went about for compiling and installing a kernel:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12185#p57894
(oh, now I see there's a special line about wifi in there... I'll soon try that with 4.19 again)
Attachments
config.gz
Kernel config
(29.56 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
vman

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:19 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'S')o I'm attaching my /proc/config.gz, the configuration of my running kernel.

I didnt know that you can copy your kernel config from /proc. So thanks, that's a nice-to-know :)

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '&')quot;echo 0f > /sys/kernel/debug/dri/129/pstate" (and cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/129/pstate to see available power states)

Yes, i found it yesterday while researching about nouveau driver, but was unsure if that also matters for the K1. So damn, but you're right hwacc is working anyways (even Gnome-Shell is running supersmooth)

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'I')'ll soon try that with 4.19 again

I'll try to build it today, so maybe i am faster then you :P

edit: After i reviewed ./scripts/config it seems like
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', './scripts/config --module CONFIG_MWIFIEX')
sets CONFIG_MWIFIEX=m, which is set in your config.
NoDiskNoFun

Postby vman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Hello NoDiskNoFun & all. This Sunday, just before 4.19rc4, I tried the current Linux from git again. Interestingly, my internal keyboard once again did not work. Generally X was somewhat slow. Several modules had not loaded automatically, and WiFi was not available. All the time I have the custom patch, the line "aux->ddc.dev.of_node = aux->dev->of_node;" in drivers/gpu/drm/drm_dp_helper.c.

But on the upside I have the impression that video playback got smother with the 4.14 kernel anyway, probably thanks to Mesa 18.2 now being in Arch. :D
vman

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Hey,

since i did some progress with my almostultrabook ;) i decided to fork reey's install script and fix some things. Also i changed the desktop environment to Gnome 3.

https://github.com/NoDiskNoFun/LinuxOnAcerCB5-311/blob/archlinux/archlinux-gnome.sh

Changes:

- Change desktop environment from XFCE4 to Gnome 3
- Install rc.local from AUR
- reclock GPU to state 08 (from 01 to 0F) cause nouveau does not do reclocking automatically
- Change I/O governor to noop for internal emmc
- Enable all DAC in alsa with asound.state file
- Enable Tap 2 Click
- Force install kernel version 4.15
- Fix missing pacman --init & pacman --populate

@vman: yes, youtube HD works fine now :) Do you also face problems connecting to 5Ghz wifi?
NoDiskNoFun

Postby reey » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:48 am

@NoDiskNoFun
You've got a typo in your script: "pacman-ky --init"

At the moment I'm trying to compile a working 4.18 Kernel with the changes from https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9516105/ reverted..
I'm trying to do so by:
git apply -R drm-don-t-link-DP-aux-i2c-adapter-to-the-hardware-device-node.patch
I've uploaded the packages here: https://github.com/reey/PKGBUILDs/releases/tag/v4.18.9
But I'm not able to boot with those..

I will try to compile it again later and check if the lines removed with that patch are really added back again..
reey

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:23 am

@reey
Thanks, i've already fixed that.
If you used that version of my script you might also have to enable rc-local.service to autorun some tweaks. (also forgot that =D )

Updated Script:
Also i added a swapfile ( + zswap + swappiness=10) and changed startup behaviour (since i got this bug) to set "boot to Linux" counter to three on normal shutdown/reboot with cgpt-tool

I thought about a workaround for fixing gpu-reclocking; we could create a script whch binds cpu clock to gpu clock. So what i mean is if cpu clock is for example 400MHz set gpu to state 03, if cpu 500MHz set gpu to state 04 and so on. My problem here is that i can't find a way to grab cpu clock, since it does not show in /proc/cpuinfo. Someone may have a idea how to realize it?
NoDiskNoFun

PreviousNext

Return to nVidia