Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 nVidia SoC.

Re: Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

Postby reey » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:51 pm

As far as I can see, the typo is still present..

I've been able to compile a Kernel 4.18.9 which does not end up with a black screen :)
But now my screen is flooded with "nouveau 57000000.gpu: fifo: SCHED_ERROR20 []" :D

This seems to be a known problem (https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 30441.html) and is fixed with kernel 4.19
I will try to apply the patch from http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/902830/ to kernel 4.18 and will see if this works..
reey

Postby NoDiskNoFun » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:18 pm

@reey

You are right, that's strange oO. But now it's fixed for sure :D
Did you just review my changes or did you really use my script? Did you have any other issue?
NoDiskNoFun

Postby reey » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Lets say I did both ;)
But I thought it was a little laggy.. Maybe that was caused by the use of Gnome..

I'm writing this on my chromebook using kernel 4.18.9 :)
For now its running without LPAE, but I will compile a version with LPAE later for the 4GB of RAM.
https://github.com/reey/PKGBUILDs/relea ... /v4.18.9.1
reey

Postby vman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:49 pm

Tegra developer tagr was back on the IRC #tegra, and he posted a different patch for the black screen problem, which I could confirm as working. So probably the official kernel (without patches) will soon no longer render our screens black. :-)

Less positive: there are still too many things that don't work in my config: internal keyboard, wifi, and battery indicator.

So I'd be happy to hear about a good solution/ config with patches for a 4.18 in the meantime!
vman

Postby reey » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:14 pm

@vman
You can find my config here: https://github.com/reey/PKGBUILDs/blob/ ... mv7/config
Keyboard, wifi and battery indicator are working fine.
The charger needs this module: bq24735_charger

Could you point me to the patch?
The patch will probably not make it into 4.19?
reey

Postby vman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:22 pm

@reey: sounds good, I'm trying your config... it is compiling now, but I'll only write about my experience tomorrow.

You can find the new patch for the black screen issue here: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/974584/

I have no idea if or when it will be merged into the official sources.
vman

Postby mrala » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:29 am

Hello, mine is the first answer in this topic almost a year ago :)
Kudos for the great effort you are doing.
I'm typing this message on a CB5-311 running the Chrom(e/ium)OS kernel 3.10.

I want to run mainline kernel from both USB or MicroSD (ctrl-u). (I have tried before without success)
Would you please help me ?
3D, video acceleration, camera and WI-FI are not needed for me. Just booting with working display.

Thank you. Good luck. May the force be with you.
mrala

Postby vman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:57 pm

@reey: I'm now running the kernel built from the PKGBUILD from you github repository. I did a comparison with the 'official' archlinuxarm PKGBUILD for linux-armv7, and the differences are not that big. Of course you're including a couple of patches, one at least to solve the display backlight issue.

And yes, I'm very happy with this kernel! Everything works, particularly: the battery indicator, and 3D and video decoding acceleration (FullHD in VLC player, at 50% CPU usage). Unfortunately this kernel again just uses 2 of the 4 GByte of RAM. So I'll have to recompile at some point, with the corresponding switch (CONFIG_ARM_LPAE). Because of all those modules compile time was about three hours, if I'm not mistaken.

@mrala: the key to booting from USB seems to be either the right partition layout, like in ChromeOS, where the root partition follows immediately after the kernel partition, or you have to configure the kernel command line that is packaged into the vmlinux.kpart. You can see the steps under the target "_package-chromebook()" in the PKGBUILD file. I had success with modifying the line that is echoed into "cmdline", replacing "root=PARTUUID=%U/PARTNROFF=1" with "root=/dev/mmcblk0p7", since my root partition is still on the internal storage only.
vman

Postby reey » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:08 am

@vman
My idea was to have as little changes as possible to the official PKGBUILD for linux-armv7 because it has been running just fine for me until the changes with kernel 4.16..
Also there were two patches included in my repo, but kernel 4.18.11 now includes one of them :)
A official LPAE kernel from archlinuxarm would be great..
I didn't include the CONFIG_ARM_LPAE because I wasn't able to compile the kernel with it.. :(
reey

Postby vman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:42 pm

@reey: you're getting a compile error when you activate CONFIG_ARM_LPAE? That's odd. For me this just works. As mentioned before it would be nice if there was a different option to support the 4 GByte, i.e. by just changing the memory layout, like the cubox-i apparently does it.

I've been running 4.18 (with the backlight patch) since Sep 28, for about an hour a day on average, I'd say. I had two or three crashes (of X only, ssh login still possible), so stability is not bad. But I noticed another problem: wifi is just slow with this kernel! I did a speed comparison with ChromeOS (and with another Linux computer), and under ChromeOS I can download a big file from an nginx server on my raspberrypi at a rate of about 10 MB/sec. Under Arch the same download barely reaches 2 MB/ sec, meaning my wifi speed then is below the speed of our internet connection (30 Mbit)... :(
vman

PreviousNext

Return to nVidia