Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 nVidia SoC.

Re: Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

Postby fedup » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:13 am

We've now reached the EOL for the nyan chromebooks so I'm planning to flash the SPI with uboot later this month.
Just to go over some of the issues raised by @vman and others.
When using nouveau for me results in poor performance. Whilst I'm able to play h.264 video the playback with good timings the image suffers flickering. In xfce4 when switching between virtual workspaces I can seen a sort of diagonal tearing effect so something's not working properly with vsynch. I have to use "PageFlip" "off" in xorg.conf to stop problems with the compositor. Setting firefox to use gpu acceleration improves the firefox experience if you push up the pstate but there is no improvements in xfce4 as it does not support accelerated graphics. In the end I set up 2 entries is my extlinux.conf file; one to boot the kernel with nouveau.modeset=0, which I use most times; the other entry allows me to boot with noveau enabled. I find the fbset performace much better so boot up without nouveau. I don't think nouveau will improve to allow us to make any satisfactory use of the tegra gpu.

I recently tried fedora 30 on a usb flash drive and thought I'd let you all know of some issues I ran into. Fedora 30 on arm has shipped without Firefox on arm as they are now using it with wayland on x86. Apparently they couldn't get a build for arm ready for the release so dropped it. I tried Epiphany, now the only web browser and it worked well but this is not great really. I wanted to try gnome shell with nouveau but gnome seems to be unavailable on arm. Then I tried kde-plasma but this gave loads of nouveau errors and crashed. xfce4 works with nouveau but seems somewhat unstable as I got a black screen a couple of times. Fedora 30 is best avoided on arm based chrome books. I'll install arch next to see how the new mesa 1.9 is working.
fedup

Re: Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

Postby jerrimu » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Decided to redo everything so wiped and put chromeos on fresh. When I went to install to sd csrd, getting an ioctl error. "ioctl error on BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy"

A quick google show a reboot worked on some systems to clear the error, but my chromeook just remounts at boot, so not sure how to reset.

Any tips?
jerrimu

Previous

Return to nVidia