Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 nVidia SoC.

Re: Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

Postby fedup » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:01 am

@vman

Is the cmdline you use with vbutil_kernel contain nouveau.modeset=0? I can only think nouveau is being blocked either by the cmdline or else blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d.

Hope you iron out the issues with your pinebook pro. Sounds like the GPU will make for a better experience than the poorly supported kepler based tegra. I doubt we'll ever see another Nvidia/tegra based chromebook.

@all

Linux 5.5+ kernels
There have been a series of regressions since 5.5 staring with an error with iommu and shared buffer handling.
I was able to get 5.5and 5.4 kernel running but with screen flicker and nouveau problems but 5.7 both with the stock debian bullsye and one compiled with my config fail to boot. I even tried the tegra_defcong but that will not load.
It Seems a new bug similar to the one that exists in 4.19 has emerged. The last 5.6 kernel I tried tries to load a non existent Nvidia firmware file. The tegra dev's do not test on tegra124-nyan so unless one of us sends bug reports or communicates we may have reached a dead end.
I shall be using the 5.4 kernel, which works, until my battery reaches EOL.
fedup

Postby fedup » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:16 pm

Suspend to Ram
==============

Managed to get suspend to ram to work on 5.4.50. Seem the problem is with the BT modules. I've blacklisted them in /etc/modprobe. Although you just unload the modules pre suspend and the load the again post resume.
I don't use bluetooth on this laptop.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'blacklist bluetooth
blacklist btmrvl_sdio
blacklist btmrvl')

There are another couple of problems with the display being corrupted or black on resume and loss of wifi. To get around this I've created a script which systemd runs as root and o sytemd unit which runs as a designated user.
The first one deals with the wifi.
/usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/tegra
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
#!/bin/bash
case "$1" in
"pre")
#unload BT modules if you use bluetooth
;;
"post")
#load BT modules if you use bluetooth
#change vt6 and return vt7 is needed to connect the keyboard
chvt 6;chvt 7
rmmod mwifiex_sdio
sleep 1
modprobe mwifiex_sdio
;;
*)
;;
esac
')

The other one runs as a user connected to X DISPLAY
/etc/systemd/system/resume_user_script.service
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[Unit]
Description=Run resume_user_script
After=suspend.target

[Service]
ExecStart=xrandr --output eDP-1 --off; xrandr --output eDP-1 --auto;
User=USERNAME
Environment=DISPLAY=:0

[Install]
WantedBy=suspend.target
')

Chnage USERNAME to yours and then enable the unit
sudo systemctl enable resume_user_script.service

systemd will need to control the suspend so you can't just do "sudo echo mem > /sys/power/state"
When you shut the lid you should enter sleep and the scripts will be run by systemd.
The sleep mode is defined suspend state LP1. There is a deeper mode LP0 but
this doesn't seem to be possible on the tegra124.
The blue power light remains on so no flashing yellow one. Still I'm able to leave it in LP1 suspend and save power.
fedup

Postby lordrafa » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:19 am

Hello,

I would like to ask if anyone manage to get audio from the HDMI? for downstream I read that this is supported but I am not sure if it has been already implemented on mainline.

@feedup do you have more info about which kernel version breaks the K1 support? I would like to take a look and it would save me tons of time if you could tell me which is the last version that works vs the first that is broken. Is there any other problem on 5.4 apart from the suspend issue that you mention? is 5.5 completely break or it started with an specific stable release (5.5.x)?
lordrafa

Postby lordrafa » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I manage to compile an run successfully v5.8.1 on my Jetson TK1. I have added the patches to my git repo.

I have manage to enable the wifi, the ethernet and bluetooth but I still having some trouble to configure the HDMI audio on my jetson-tk1.

I have added "load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,3" to my /etc/pulse/default.pa and I can see a sink entry in the "pactl list" output. In the graphical interface, at the sound preferences output, there are two entries called Built-in Audio and Built-in Audio Stereo.

Also if I run "aplay -l" I can see the tegra-hda device, however, no audio comes out from the HDMI to my TV. One weird thing is that tegra-hda sound is not recognized as a card by pactl but only as a sink, I really not sure if this is the expected behavior.

I really don't know what to do about this...
lordrafa

Postby lordrafa » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:55 am

OK I answer myself again, there are a couple of files that need to be edited in order to get the HDMI detected as card. /etc/asound (this only configure stuff about alsa) and/usr/share/alsa/cards/xxx.conf here is where probably the magic happens.

In the original L4T driver package there are are a couple of config files that can be used to configure properly the Jetson TK1 HDMI as an audio card. I will edit my installer script when I have some spare time to install them automatically.

Now I have everything working on my Jetson TK1 using the latest kernel and Archlinux.

About the performance, I can play videos at 720p without problems, unfortunately 1080p looks to much for the TK1
lordrafa

Previous

Return to nVidia