Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 nVidia SoC.

Re: Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

Postby reey » Thu May 23, 2019 9:16 pm

today I've installed the official archlinuxarm linux-armv7 package again.
This runs fine but misses LPAE and cpufreq..
what stood out to me was, that the archlinuxarm kernel has no logline that the system had an unclean shutdown..
Maybe I missed some kernel option there, but I didn't found any obvious missing option for now..
reey

Postby mrala » Thu May 23, 2019 11:38 pm

Thank you so much reey!
By LPAE do you mean 2GB vs 4GB RAM ? Because I just checked and the patch:
"ARM: tegra: Restore DT ABI on Tegra124 Chromebooks" is in 4.19 and 5.x (not in 4.20).
mrala

Postby reey » Fri May 24, 2019 5:13 am

By LPAE I mean, that we are missing half of the RAM.
This is because archlinuxarm is not providing a kernel with the LPAE kernel option enabled..
The patch you mentioned is included, but if the kernel is not compiled with LPAE enabled it won't help..

I'm not sure why archlinuxarm is not providing a LPAE kernel, since distros like ubuntu provide one..
reey

Postby tetris11 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:21 pm

I just tried out the 5.1, and things seem to be working really good out of the box!
I am experiencing some intermittent connectivity issues that I can't seem to place on anything.

Possibly related to below

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('vman', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'H')ow far is Kernel 5.x now?

I just switched from 4.20 to 5.1rc4 a couple of days ago, and I don't notice any difference. :) This is mostly good news, since things were quite good already, and this time I'm running pretty much stock 5.1: the only kernel patch I left in reey's/ my PKGBUILD is enable-CPU-freq. Maybe this would also be obsolete, if taken care of by u-boot?

My main trouble now is the slow WiFi connection (about 2 MBit/sec) with the built-in hardware. I tried using a very small USB-WiFi adapter instead, but either I'm missing the right driver in my kernel, or I'm just having trouble configuring it properly in Arch. Really network connectivity is a topic I don't want to dive in too deep, I'd like it to just work...
tetris11

Postby Insei » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:25 am

Hello All.
I try to start gnome on wayland on tegra k1 platform, but get errors in dmesg and black screen(gdm3 logs is empty), if i use X11 for gnome-session and gdm3 - its works without any error.
dmesg errors part:
https://pastebin.com/1QBqPCB2

Anyone try to start gnome-shell(gdm3) on wayland?

I use Ubuntu 18.10 default package mesa 18.2.8
and linux-next kernel 5.2-rc** and try with 4.19
https://github.com/Insei/linux/tree/mas ... ha-changes

Xorg normal log:
https://pastebin.com/9iFX5Vkk

enyone can help me with this? maybe this problem in kernel or mesa version, or need a patches?
Wayland is broken on tegra?
Thanks!
Insei

Postby reey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:48 am

as far as I can tell, mesa is the problem.
same issue occurred on arch also.
try to use the latest version of mesa, which should solve the problem, at least it did for arch.
reey

Postby Insei » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:58 am

I tried a few days ago with mesa 19.0.5 on Arch Linux.
But it got exactly the same thing just worse, even when running gdm3 with WaylandEnable = false in /etc/gdm3/custom.conf
I received the same errors. Xorg is broken if use 19.0.5 mesa.

If in Arch i downgrade mesa package to version 18.3.1 and llvm-libs to version 7.0.1, then xorg works, but wayland - no(
Insei

Postby trfmidia » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:15 pm

I also had the same problem, now everything is ok.
trfmidia

Postby fedup » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:50 am

Regarding mesa. I'm still on 18.2.2-1version as 18.3 on fedora29 is not working. I also tried running Wayland with gnome3 but without success. It's a shame that the nouveau/mesa combination is only partially working. Accelerated video whilst it works is not perfect either. Have not tried a newer version of mesa yet.

kernel 5.1 now runs without the patches. I still change tegra124-nyan.dtsi to allow cpufreq. I'm using the same config I used on 5.0.x kernels but I now have a problem with udev and more specifically coldplug. Mostly working but I'm unable the change backlight brightness so not all devices are being setup when udev launches. It maybe a fedora specific issue with the my kernel as I have not tried the same kernel with arch yet.
I've also tried the kernel provided by fedora but I just get a blank screen. It maybe that the initfamfs does not have the correct modules needed for the tegra. there is no log produced so perhaps it's hanging on finding the rootfs. Annoyingly I get no screen output so hard to debug.

@reey
Have you got a kernel config which is working on arch or Ubuntu I can test.
fedup

Postby reey » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:37 am

@fedup
just create the kernel config from the defconfig here: https://github.com/reey/PKGBUILDs/blob/ ... _defconfig
reey

PreviousNext

Return to nVidia