Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 nVidia SoC.

Re: Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

Postby reey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:39 pm

I think the only place where something about resolution is defined in u-boot is here:
https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/m ... ig.dts#L34
but it seems like the resolution is always set to hd ready..

I have no idea on why this is not working for you, I'm sorry..
reey

Postby fedup » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:14 am

@reey
Adding CONFIG_PHYS_64BIT=y to the defconfig file sorted out the u-boot/LPAE problem for me and I'm not getting any obvoius problems yet but I'm keeping an eye on journalctl output.

I'm getting a problem with shutdown on 4.20.* kernels. When I shutdown, the the final poweroff is not happening and I have to hold down the power button, more like halt. The same config built on 4.19.13 works fine.
fedup

Postby reey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 pm

@fedup
Yeah for me it is also working, but I would also like to be able to efi boot in the future since fedora and some other distros will/do support it in the future and so one day we might be able to install fedora or debian via the normal installer :)
But for some reason efi booting is broken since 2019.01..
On 2018.11 it is working but enabling the "CONFIG_PHYS_64BIT=y" is breaking it..

I can not confirm your issues with shutting down.. I'm running on 4.20.8 but also had no issues with earlier versions..

another thing that might be interesting is the USB device/gadget support
It was enabled on other tegra124 devices a while ago: https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/ ... 78638.html

By changing the "usb@7d000000" entry in arch/arm/dts/tegra124-nyan.dtsi of u-boot to:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
usb@7d000000 { /* Rear external USB port. */
status = "okay";
dr_mode = "otg";
nvidia,vbus-gpio = <&gpio TEGRA_GPIO(N, 4) GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;
};')

I'm now able to access the internal emmc of my chromebook from my pc via the USB-A to USB-A cable by running "ums 0 mmc 0" in u-boot :)
reey

Postby mrala » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Hello folks, kudos for the great progress! Keep up the good work!
When you finish with bootloader/low-level stuff I hope you get a distro working.
Sorry for being such a consumer at the moment.
mrala

Postby fedup » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:31 pm

@reey
I was unable to load a norrin-u-boot from the tegra-tools over usb cable to the chromebook running enterrcm on the chainloaded u-boot. I ran enterrcm on the chromebook, then on the x86 laptop I ran ./tegra-uboot-flasher exec norrin but although it reported succesfully sending uboot.bin nothing happened on the chromebook. The enterrcm command obviously worked as I saw the chrombook appear as a usb device on the laptop. Not sure if this a problem caused by the u-boot being chainloaded from coreboot/depthcharge. It may work with u-boot booted directly from the SPI.

Next step will be to put the Chromebook into recovery mode. Not sure if doing this will touch the current firmware in the spi so need to backup everything first.

@reey
You mentioned that the u-boot environment is on the emmc. Would reformatting or repartitioning brick the device or is it just a case of restoring the environment from the u-boot prompt?
fedup

Postby reey » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:41 pm

@fedup
So I've been going back to coreboot some days ago and tested exactly this procedure and it should work, at least it did for me..
And it shouldn't have anything to do with what is on the SPI flash..
Are you sure you enabled LPAE in u-boot? without it I was only getting a black screen..

What do you mean by putting the chromebook into recovery mode?

I'm not sure what happens if you repartition the emmc..
If you are booting u-boot from SPI it seems like the environment isn't stored on the emmc because the settings are gone after wipeing the SPI and reflashing it..

Edit:
Did someone of you tried or found this before?:
echo auto >/sys/kernel/debug/dri/128/pstate
I've found that today here:
https://github.com/NVIDIA/tegra-nouveau-rootfs

Had no time to test this yet, but it would be great if GPU DVFS is working :)

Edit2: doesn't seem to work..
reey

Postby fedup » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:57 pm

@reey
Not sure why enterrcm is not working. I did enable LPAE. Does it automatically boot or do you need alter the u-boot environment? Tricky when the screen is blank.
I realise the other method usb recovery is only available on other tegra boards or with servo connected. so I need to get this working or else use the flashrom method. I could also try your uboot-image to see if that works over the usb cable.

Yeah shame that the nouveau doesn't automatically change the pstate ondemand.
fedup

Postby reey » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:30 pm

@fedup I uploaded my _out folder here: https://github.com/reey/nyan-big-u-boot ... ive-u-boot

you should be able to use that..
I created another device config called nyan-big for my self since I plan to do a pull request to the nvidia git to support the nyan-big..

So when using that folder you might need to use the nyan-big device instead or execute the tegrarcm command manually

So normally you should not need to change anything of the environment if your extlinux.conf file is on the first partition of your drive..

Edit:
I uploaded my changes here:
https://github.com/reey/tegra-uboot-flasher-scripts
https://github.com/reey/cbootimage-configs
with these you should be able to build it for the nyan-big device without using norrin. :)
The only real difference to norrin is the bct config file..
Last edited by reey on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
reey

Postby fedup » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:07 am

@reey
Thanks for the help.
Using your _out directory and issuing ./tegra-ubot-flasher exec nyan-big got u-boot working from the enterrcm. I suppose something has gone wrong with my u-boot build, maybe some mismatch with the libraries I have on fedora. So at least I have the mechanism setup now to flash the spi. I suppose if I now run ./tegra-ubot-flasher exec nyan-big, the uboot will be flashed to the spi.

Edit..
@reey
I was able use the nyan-big config on your git you created but not the default norrin one. It might be a good idea to change your instructions on page 13. I only attemped to run "./tegra-ubot-flasher exec norrin" so all that happened was the u-boot payload crashed. If I'd ran "./tegra-ubot-flasher flash norrin" instead I may have bricked my chromebook.

@reey@NoDiskNoFun
Just wondering about the unpopulated buttons on the nyan m'board mentioned earlier. I see jetson boards have buttons which can be used to flash SPI in the way described in the README.user file, Maybe they had the buttons setup when they were testing the boards?
fedup

Postby reey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:53 pm

So my changes to u-boot for chainloading have been accepted :)
Also OTG is now activated in u-boot.

The LPAE Kernel fix has been merged into 5.0-rc8 and should be backported to 4.19 soon :)
I'm hoping that this patch: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1031073/ will get into 5.1, so 5.1 mainline might be working without any patches :)

I might send some patches to u-boot for the LPAE problems there, soon..

@fedup nice to hear that this is working for you now :)
I've changed my instructions now
reey

PreviousNext

Return to nVidia