Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 nVidia SoC.

Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

Postby reey » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Hello,

I edited the script of https://www.tbi.univie.ac.at/~ronny/acer-cb5-311.html to install the mainline kernel (
archlinux-working.zip
(7.16 KiB) Downloaded 853 times
) .
I've attached it bellow.
My problem is now, that I'm not able to use the integrated wifi. It is not detected..
Am I missing something here?
I would be glad for any help.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[ 5.878347] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[ 5.878361] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[ 5.878371] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[ 5.878399] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[ 5.884694] Bluetooth: vendor=0x2df, device=0x912e, class=255, fn=2
[ 7.519035] Bluetooth: FW download over, size 814048 bytes
[ 18.328189] Bluetooth: FW failed to be active in time!
[ 18.328200] Bluetooth: Downloading firmware failed!
[ 18.331487] mwifiex: rx work enabled, cpus 4
[ 18.440382] mwifiex_sdio mmc1:0001:1: WLAN is not the winner! Skip FW dnld
[ 34.644194] mwifiex_sdio mmc1:0001:1: FW failed to be active in time
[ 34.644206] mwifiex_sdio mmc1:0001:1: info: _mwifiex_fw_dpc: unregister device
')

reey

Edit:
The script for installing mainline kernel can be found here: https://github.com/reey/LinuxOnAcerCB5-311/

I've uploaded a precompiled mainline kernel here with LPAE activated, so 4GB of RAM: https://github.com/reey/PKGBUILDs/releases/
Last edited by reey on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reey

Re: Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

Postby mrala » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Hello, what kernel version?
Can you help me boot mainline from SD or USB.
I'm able to boot arch (and other distros) from SD and USB but with the 3.10 kernal.

Sorry can't help with your wi-fi issue. The chipset requires some firmware blob ...
I know that there is other poeple who (had) run mainline.
mrala

Postby reey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:10 pm

The script installs the latest version of linux-armv7 so at the moment this should be 4.14.
As far as I know booting from SD should be no problem..
Have you been trying this script?
reey

Postby reey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:55 pm

I've forked RaumZeit's repo and created a mainline branch for installing mainline.
https://github.com/reey/LinuxOnAcerCB5-311/

I've also tested sd card installation, which is working fine.
Booting with crtl + u works.
The script installs the newest mainline kernel, so at the moment it is 4.14.12
reey

Postby tetris11 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:01 am

Hey, I was following the wonderful progress made in the other thread by people like you.

I seem to be stuck at a blank screen on boot. I assume that this means that the new kernel partition is detected and used, but I am unable to get further than that, or detect whether the rootfs has been used.

I saw this same issue referenced in the other thread, but I could not find a solution for it other than it disappeared in a new kernel version.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
tetris11

Postby reey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:58 am

Hey,

have you used the script from my github mainline branch?
Do you know which kernel version was installed?
4.14.12 was running fine, maybe there is a problem with 4.15..
I also experienced these problems when I tested a rc kernel..

I will try to rerun the script an install the newest kernel version later today.

edit: I'm now running Kernel 4.15.3 and I'm not getting any black screen
Also my wifi problem no longer occurs, but I don't know what fixed this..
reey

Postby Manizuca » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:10 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tetris11', 'H')ey, I was following the wonderful progress made in the other thread by people like you.

I seem to be stuck at a blank screen on boot. I assume that this means that the new kernel partition is detected and used, but I am unable to get further than that, or detect whether the rootfs has been used.

I saw this same issue referenced in the other thread, but I could not find a solution for it other than it disappeared in a new kernel version.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I enable the sshd service everytime i reboot to a new kernel, as most problems are display related. In your case, it must be activated from chroot, as you never booted with a working display, so you can find the problem.

In this case, i think you are hitting a bug introduced with commit 928055a ("iommu/exynos: Remove custom platform device registration code") on v4.14rc1. If that is the case, it should be fixed with commit dc98b84 ("iommu/exynos: Don't unconditionally steal bus ops ") on v4.16rc1, so you should try with the latest linux-rc instead of the stable one.
Manizuca

Postby tetris11 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 pm

@reey - I was using the mainline branch, kernel 4.14

It was running fine, right until I performed an $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Syu') where it prompted me to upgrade a lot of the *proto packages to extra/*proto, and then it asked to install a new kernel (which from the dd output looks like it worked) and then my system suddenly became read-only. I rebooted and ended up with a blank screen.

@Manizuca - good tip, I will chroot and enable sshd and see what is happening. I will also try to upgrade to the rc kernel and see if there is any change.

Thanks for the help guys/gals, I will keep you posted!
tetris11

Postby reey » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:32 am

@tetris11
When you performed the update, did you manually write to the kernel partition?
It could be possible that with the update you dd'ed the kernel onto the system partition..
reey

Postby vman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Now after a break of almost a year I'm back on using my CB5 for most of my home web activity... and I'm glad to see quite some progress. :-)

Especially Firefox "Quantum" (58) is quite a show!

Once again I started off with raumzeit's installer script - thank you very much for providing and maintaining this project! (Actually I remember having had some problem using it, which I could resolve by downgrading ChromeOS from Beta or Developer back to Stable - but unfortunately I neither took notes nor reported it before forgetting the details.)

Now things were running well with XFCE, but I also wanted to start KDE, at least occasionally, and that did not work. Anyway I was keen on getting to a 'mainline' kernel, which is what this thread is about.

In retrospect I believe my boot failures last year may have been caused by me not going through all the steps for preparing the kernel for booting the Chromebook. So here is what I figured out, and now tried several times successfully with different Linux 4.15 revisions:

I downloaded the Kernel from kernel.org, no patches or anything.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'make tegra_defconfig')

Then I probably did a (found in the nice manual for a Samsung Chromebook):

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', './scripts/config --module CONFIG_MWIFIEX')

Now this kernel compiles relatively fast, on the Chromebook itself, since it is quite minimal (especially with regard to modules). But some important capabilities are still missing, notably the Touchpad *and* USB support. I fiddled around with the configuration and came up with this config:
config.4.15.zip
Kernel config for CB5-311
(30.54 KiB) Downloaded 723 times

Then I compiled kernel, modules, and dtbs (!):

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'make prepare
make modules_prepare
make -j4 bzImage modules dtbs
')

Installing the modules is simple:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'make modules_install')

Now the important part, two more steps to get the kernel ready!

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mkimage -f nyan-big-fit.cfg nyan-big-kernel
vbutil_kernel --version 1 --arch arm --keyblock kernel.keyblock --signprivate kernel_data_key.vbprivk --vmlinuz nyan-big-kernel --bootloader dummy.txt --pack kernel.kpart --config cmdline')

The nyan-big-fit.cfg has to point to both the Kernel zImage, and to the right dtbs for this kernel. I copied both to the directory arch-arm-boot, which I created in a working directory containing the nyan-big-fit.cfg file itself (and some of the following files).

vbutil_kernel needs the keyblock and signature files (both are either from Arch or from ChromeOS). You also need the empty dummy.txt, and a correct cmdline file! Mine looks like this:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'root=/dev/mmcblk0p7 rootwait rw noinitrd')

There are several places describing how to change the boot order with cgpt for a Chromebook. The beforementioned Samsung Chromebook manual is giving quite some detail. I'm booting Linux from SDCard (ctrl+u), and have to flash my kernel with e.g. dd if=kernel.kpart of=mmcblk2p1. So by booting from internal memory instead (ctrl+d), I can still get ChromeOS (although I'm also considering two alternative 'real' Linux setups instead, one with the NVidia drivers on an old kernel).

The main thing I'm missing now is the battery indicator! Having read tincman's post I though configuring bq24735-charger, sbs-charger etc would solve it, but it didn't. Can anyone help me on this?

WiFi is a little unstable, when connecting to new networks, but after having picked up my home network it is working well enough for me.

Graphics performance is good for the desktop, after having disabled window trasparency in certain cases. Switching workspaces with a "sliede" animation works really well. I'd like to get more 3D working (DRI), though, and especially video playback support. MPlayer and VLC are complaining there was no XVideo support, xvinfo says "no adaptors present". Does anyone have more success there, and if so how?

I'm not even sure my Arch system is not using part of the Nvidia drivers still, since renaming e.g. /lib/libEGL.so, which apparently belongs to no package, rendered X unusable. But I did install Debian testing on an extra SD card (with debootstrap from Arch), and graphics performance and log information was very similar. This is a snippet from my Xorg.0.log (from "clean" Debian):

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[ 15.226] (II) glamor: EGL version 1.4 (DRI2):
[ 15.289] (II) modeset(G0): glamor initialized
[ 15.290] (==) modeset(G0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
[ 15.290] (==) modeset(G0): DPI set to (96, 96)
[ 15.290] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
[ 15.290] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[ 15.290] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
[ 15.290] (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 15.290] compiled for 1.19.6, module version = 1.0.0
[ 15.290] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[ 15.290] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
[ 15.290] (II) Unloading fbdev
[ 15.290] (II) UnloadSubModule: "fbdevhw"
[ 15.290] (II) Unloading fbdevhw
[ 15.290] (==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
[ 15.360] (==) modeset(G0): Backing store enabled
[ 15.360] (==) modeset(G0): Silken mouse enabled
[ 15.365] (II) modeset(G0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled message.
[ 15.365] (==) modeset(G0): DPMS enabled
[ 15.365] (II) modeset(G0): [DRI2] Setup complete
[ 15.365] (II) modeset(G0): [DRI2] DRI driver: nouveau
[ 15.365] (II) modeset(G0): [DRI2] VDPAU driver: nouveau
[ 15.375] (==) modeset(0): Backing store enabled
[ 15.375] (==) modeset(0): Silken mouse enabled
[ 15.375] (II) modeset(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled message.
[ 15.386] (==) modeset(0): DPMS enabled
[ 15.386] (--) RandR disabled
[ 15.394] (II) SELinux: Disabled on system
[ 15.395] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
[ 15.395] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
')
vman

Next

Return to nVidia