Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 nVidia SoC.

Re: Acer Chromebook CB5-311 mainline

Postby Manizuca » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:33 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('vman', 'S')o I'm on Linux 5.4.18, and my dmesg looks pretty much like yours, @Manizuca. Indeed my Xorg.0.log (comple log) is indicating some problem:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')[ 12.217] (II) LoadModule: "glamoregl"
[ 12.217] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so
[ 12.254] (II) Module glamoregl: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 12.254] compiled for 1.20.7, module version = 1.0.1
[ 12.254] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[ 13.650] (EE) modeset(0): eglGetDisplay() failed
[ 13.679] (EE) modeset(0): glamor initialization failed

Yeah, thats clearly the problem. Do you have a custom xorg.conf or something?, i'm using the default configuration and it just works™️

I see in your log that xorg is not probing the detected devices (in my log, i have some 'Platform probe for /sys/devices/...'). The xorg code says:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' LogMessage(X_INFO, "xfree86: Adding drm device (%s)\n", path);

if (!xf86VTOwner()) {
/* if we don't currently own the VT then don't probe the device,
just mark it as unowned for later use */
xf86_add_platform_device(attribs, TRUE);
return;
}

ret = get_drm_info(attribs, path, -1);
')
So maybe that's expected because in your case xorg is not using logind, and running as root? (for me, the xorg-server is running as the gdm user). This is the only difference i cans see before the error.

Anyhow, you could try the basic kmscube program https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/kmscube to see if your problem is not with xorg. Just compile it (takes a couple of seconds running 'autogen.sh' and 'make') and run this command in a tty $this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '.')/kmscube -D /dev/dri/by-path/platform-50000000.host1x-card

You should see a cube using the whole screen.

')Actually I saw a different problem first, today:
')[ 12.997] (EE) fbdev: module ABI major version (24) doesn't match the server's version (25)
[ 12.997] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

...but I "fixed" that by going back to xorg-server (from xorg-server-git).

My xorg-server doesnt have that module (Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)), so yours is probably trying to load and old file that doesn't exist in xorg-git and is not needed. With the 'old' xorg-server you should see the 'nouveau DATA_ERRORs' that you got in debian... but at this moment is not even using the card, so you don't see these error. (So your debian install is in a better state that your arch linux install :lol:, it just needs to use a git-version of xorg-server)

')Maybe my biggest problem is my lack of knowledge, though: which driver is supposed to be loaded, and which isn't? If you can't see what's wrong directly, maybe you can paste your Xorg.0.log for comparison?

This is my log from gdm: https://pastebin.com/63wnBtFw

The key module is glamoregl, that should load two dri drivers, the tegra driver for tegra render-card (modeset(0)int the logs), and the nouveau driver for the nvidia gpu (modeset(G0) in the logs)
Manizuca

Postby vman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:59 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Manizuca', ' ')Do you have a custom xorg.conf or something?, i'm using the default configuration and it just works™️

That's what I think it should - just work! ;-)

No, I don't have any xorg.conf. Also my IgnorePkg in /etc/pacman.conf contains nothing but the kernel. I should be running plain, up-to-date Arch Linux right now.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Manizuca', ' ')
Anyhow, you could try the basic kmscube program

First I tried using gdm, but that wouldn't even show a screen. So I stopped it (systemctl), and tried kmscube with the parameter you told me:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
failed to initialize
failed to initialize EGL
')

(I tried both as user, and as root)

')(So your debian install is in a better state that your arch linux install :lol:, it just needs to use a git-version of xorg-server)

Unfortunately I don't have that install anymore... but if you think it might work, I'll try to get back to it, when I have some time again.
vman

Postby Manizuca » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:11 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('vman', '
')First I tried using gdm, but that wouldn't even show a screen. So I stopped it (systemctl), and tried kmscube with the parameter you told me:

failed to initialize
failed to initialize EGL
')

(I tried both as user, and as root)

That comes from common.c in kmscube:

if (egl->eglGetPlatformDisplayEXT) {
egl->display = egl->eglGetPlatformDisplayEXT(EGL_PLATFORM_GBM_KHR,
gbm->dev, NULL);
} else {
egl->display = eglGetDisplay((void *)gbm->dev);
}

if (!eglInitialize(egl->display, &major, &minor)) {
printf("failed to initialize\n");
return -1;
}
')

It seems to be the same 'eglGetDisplay()' problem you had with xorg, so there must be something bad with your drivers. I don't know where to look, you should probably try to get some help at nouveau's or tegra's IRC channels.
Manizuca

Postby mraxunilhcra » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:50 am

Hello, about 3 years ago I bough this lappy, because of this topic. It was very active and seemed that soon it will nicely run Linux. But shortly after that things started to go down and that kind of never happened.

Now I really need to use it for the next few months. (eyeing the Pinebook Pro after that btw).

Can you please share with me your working image bootable from SD Card or USB thumbdrive,
which I can just dowload and flash (dd'). I'll be so gratefull.

Currently I'm booting a Kali Linux image (with the Chrome 3.10 kernel) taken from the official website about a year ago.The only one working image I ever found, but it is not very usable. Arch or Debian with 5.x kenel would be better.

I don't need 3D or video accelaration. I won't play games or watch videos. (Need just web browser, terminal, simple editor).

As I don't have the hardware and the skills:
I don't want to mess with the internal memory - MMC,
I can't build image on my own.

Also if you run mainline/upstream kernel 5.x, can you please try Sway WM (It's Wayland only, no X).
But it is lite - how it will run even without hardware accelaration - software fallback ?

THANK YOU SO MUCH.
mraxunilhcra

Postby vman » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:35 pm

Hello mraxunilhcra,

the state of support and documentation for the CB5-311 is a shame, indeed. I'm quite frustrated myself about how much time I invested, and how poorly my system is working. Actually sound broke for me, a couple of months ago, and I don't know why. Maybe it could be fixed by adjusting one of the about 100 controls that alsamixer is offering. Sound still works under ChromeOS, so it is not a hardware issue.

But I thought at least I could put my experience to some use, and help you out with an easy-to-flash sd card image for a "work only" system - yet even that turns out to be more difficult than I anticipated. First I have a setup where the kernel is on the sd card, but it boots the root file system from the internal memory. While creating a kernel image that should boot from sd card (/dev/mmcblk2p2) was relatively easy with all the experience I now have, I just found out I don't have a spare small sd card. So I guess I'll have to swap cards (meaning copy a system), and I can't do this before the weekend, I'm afraid.

I'd be willing to do it then (probably on Sunday), but I'd be happy if someone else had an image ready before me (ideally with 3D support, but now I believe that is not possible without changing the bootloader, and I could not find step-by-step instructions for that either).

Anyway I also ordered a PineBook Pro. That should make the CB expendable, and I could take higher risks with flashing etc. ;-)
vman

Postby lordrafa » Sat May 02, 2020 1:15 am

Hello,

I being following this post and I find it really interesting. I am trying to install any distro on my Jetson TK1 but I didn't have that much luck till now.

Debian 10 looks like is using a kernel that has some short of bug that breaks the system as soon as I install the firmware.

On the other hand I was more luck with arch. I use the lastest archlinuxarm image and the the latest kernel posted on this forum I and I mange to boo but I would like to understand a couple of thing.

I can see that the script copies the kernel and another file called *.kpart I never seen this type of files before and I would like to know what does this file do. Also I would like to know if this kernel has any patch to work or if its pure mainline.
lordrafa

Postby lordrafa » Sat May 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Reading the PGKBUILD I answer my questions. Just for future reference the kpart file is used to sign the kernel.
lordrafa

Postby lordrafa » Mon May 04, 2020 10:32 pm

Hello just for the record, I am using kernel 5.1.1 with a clean installation of the latest arm arch and I manage to get into X with 3d acceleration. The only thing that I had to do to get the x working was install from AUR xorg-server-git.

I am running it on a Jetson TK1, I had to do some magic with uboot and the storage but a part from that everything works fine.
lordrafa

Postby vman » Tue May 05, 2020 7:18 am

Hi mraxunilhcra, lordrafa, and everyone reading here,

as announced I created a bootable sd card image. I'll send you a personal message mraxunilhcra, since I'm "hosting" the image on my local (home) server, and a) I don't want dozens of uploads, and b) I don't really want this image to be spread widely. It is basically a copy of my personal system. Of course I deleted my user (with home) from it, and also the stored wifi networks from the NetworkManager... but I might have forgotten something. Anyway I'm afraid it is not a great image. I cloned my system onto a zeroed-out 64 GB SD card (using "tar az" and "dd" for the adjusted kernel). With the system tar-copied onto a different device I arch-chrooted into it, and cleaned some larger packages (kde, libreoffice), and purged the cache. I tested the newly created sd card. The image I took from it (dd again) I did not re-flash and test. I just bzip2'd it. The result is still 4.1 GByte, since it still contains a lot of installed software (telegram-desktop, firefox, gnome, xfce, ...).

lordrafa, could you elaborate on the u-boot magic you did? Maybe it is not transferable to the chromebook, but maybe it is? Last time I tried booting (Debian) with u-boot, I just had 2 GByte of RAM (out of the 4) again... and no 3D, but a lot of kernel errors.
vman

Postby lordrafa » Tue May 05, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi vman,

I think that if I would be you I would start from the scratch. The only thing that I had to do was adapt the uboot boot script so it can load arch from a hardisk, nothing special that could affect 3d. I installed the uboot from debian as described in here https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... Jetson-TK1, bear in mind that this probably would not work with yout CB5-311 and actually it can brick your device.

I would be temped to think that afer this many trials you have done, you have corrupted your arch installation. The steps that I follow to install arch on my Jetson K1 where:

$this->bbcode_list('1')
  • Install uboot from debian repo and configure it, so it can boot arch.
  • Copy the latest arm arch to the SD card.
  • Copy manually the latest kernel available from reey repo (5.1.1) to that sd card
  • Boot Jetson K1. No additional packages a this moment.
  • Execute manually the script from the first post cmds (since everything related to the partitions and chroot didn't apply to me).
  • Install from AUR xorg-server-git..

• It was pretty much straight forward to have it working so I would say that you have something wrong with your package set or config... starting from the scratch should help you to solve any issue.
    lordrafa

PreviousNext

Return to nVidia