Mainline Kernel on Tegra K1 (Acer Chromebook 13 CB5-311)

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 nVidia SoC.

Re: Mainline Kernel on Tegra K1 (Acer Chromebook 13 CB5-311)

Postby mrala » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Thank you so much!
The device is already partitioned and have developer mode and Arch on it.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@chromebook testuser]# uname -a
Linux chromebook 3.10.18-37-ARCH #1 SMP Sun Nov 20 16:29:56 CET 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

[root@chromebook testuser]# crossystem
dev_boot_usb = (error) # Enable developer mode boot from USB/SD (writable)
waitpid() or mosys error
dev_boot_legacy = (error) # Enable developer mode boot Legacy OSes (writable)
waitpid() or mosys error
dev_boot_signed_only = (error) # Enable developer mode boot only from official kernels (writable)
waitpid() or mosys error
dev_default_boot = unknown # default boot from legacy or usb (writable) ')
On boot screen it says that signed verification is off , so probably usb boot is enabled.
My real question is how to make a bootable USB/SD ?
I already started studing the script but is 2k lines and I don't know bash very well.
This is a quote from the Samsung Chromebook 2 (Peach) guide
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'M')ainline Kernel
The installation above will use the ChromeOS 3.8 kernel. The mainline kernel can be used instead, though some hardware may not be working yet. Two options are available to switch to the mainline kernel:
1.Replace kernel packages after installation
a. Install linux-armv7 packages, replacing the linux-peach package:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -S linux-armv7 linux-armv7-chromebook')
b. Type y and hit enter when prompted to flash the kernel to the kernel partition.
c. Reboot.
2. Perform a new installation with the above steps using the armv7-chromebook tarball:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv7-chromebook-latest.tar.gz')

What I don't understand here is: "linux-armv7" vs "linux-armv7-chromeboook"
Also where I can download "linux-armv7-RC" that works good for you.
I'll try over the weekend and report you back soon. If I succeed I will write a guide. Wish me luck.
mrala

Postby vman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Hello mrala,

struggling with getting the mainline Kernel to boot from SD Card myself I'm happy to help you with my experiences, and I'm looking forward to you having success, and writing a little guide!

But first an answer to an older question by raumzeit:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'A')part from that, I use my Acer Chromebook for video playback a lot and for me it looks very smooth. But I haven't compared it to ChromeOS yet which I usually avoid using so far.

Does your chromebook have a FullHD display as well? To me video in Arch Linux is playing smoothly enough as long as I don't go fullscreen. But under ChromeOS it is always smooth, as one would expect in a relatively recent device. So I'd like to have dual-boot, using ChromeOS as guest occasionally.

mrala, you were asking about the difference between linux-armv7 and linux-armv7-chrombook: as you can see from the packagesizes (72 MByte vs 6 MByte, obtained by calling 'pacman -Si') the former is the actual kernel package, and the later probably is just a collection of scripts (?). When I do an update ('pacman -Syu') I get the following when updating linux-armv7-chrombook:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'A new kernel version needs to be flashed onto /dev/mmcblk1p3.
Do you want to do this now? [y|N]

You can do this later by running:
# dd if=/boot/vmlinux.kpart of=/dev/mmcblk1p3
')

This I have to deny, since that is my root partition! So I later call

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
# dd if=/boot/vmlinux.kpart of=/dev/mmcblk1p2
')

Generally you probably have to familiarize yourself with dd, the partitioning scheme, and with cgpt. See for example my previous post in this thread.

There I also mentioned booting from USB / SD Card, and in retrospect I'm quite certain that this simple method (dd + cgpt) worked for me before. On my system a recent update of ChromeOS disabled usb-boot, and I had to go back into ChromeOS to enable it again - apparently it can't be done from Arch Linux?

To install an RC Kernel just pick the linux-armv7-rc package with pacman.

But: I'm still running raumzeit's linux-nyan kernel, and my attempts to install a mainline kernel in a chroot environment keep failing. So I probably have to re-install at some point...
vman

Postby raumzeit » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:03 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('vman', '
')
Does your chromebook have a FullHD display as well? To me video in Arch Linux is playing smoothly enough as long as I don't go fullscreen. But under ChromeOS it is always smooth, as one would expect in a relatively recent device. So I'd like to have dual-boot, using ChromeOS as guest occasionally.

But: I'm still running raumzeit's linux-nyan kernel, and my attempts to install a mainline kernel in a chroot environment keep failing. So I probably have to re-install at some point...

Yes, I have the HD version of the Acer CB5-311. And I have no problems at all with fullscreen video playback. Did you install the proprietary NVidia drivers or are you running Xorg without? Also, is your user in the video group such that it has access to the corresponding hardware devices? It would be interesting to see any log from e.g. vlc to check what might be slowing down video playback in your case...
Acer CB5-311, Asus Flip, Tinker Board, Samsung ARM Chromebook, NSA 325, ix4-300d, WandBoard Quad, Raspberry Pi B, BeagleBoard ...and a dead Pandaboard :sad:
raumzeit

Postby vman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:34 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')Did you install the proprietary NVidia drivers or are you running Xorg without? Also, is your user in the video group such that it has access to the corresponding hardware devices? It would be interesting to see any log from e.g. vlc to check what might be slowing down video playback in your case...

Thanks raumzeit, for trying to debug my video problem! Actually it seems to have solved itself with one of the more recent updates... now video is actually playing fine, even from within Chromium.

There is an oddity when I start up vlc playback:

Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
')

What I tried then is go to /usr/lib and 'ln -s libvdpau.so libvdpau_nvidia.so'

Now the complaint quoted above is gone. But I still get some errors when running vlc with VLC_VERBOSE=3:

/usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1: undefined symbol: vdp_imp_device_create_x11
[a7ed0450] core generic debug: no hw decoder modules matched
/usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1: undefined symbol: vdp_imp_device_create_x11
[ab200c58] vdpau_display vout display debug: device creation failure: error 1
')

But as I wrote: video playback is fine for me now, with cpu usage around 30-40 percent (instead of around 90%, like I had observed before). So I'm not attaching the full vlc output, since it is huge, and my problem kind of solved itself.
vman

Postby haagch » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:23 am

Oops, wasn't here for a couple of days. linux-armv7(-rc) is the usual kernel and linux-armv7-chromebook is a kernel image that is built specifically so the chromebook bootloader can load it, because I think it needs to be in a special format for that. It shouldn't contain much more than the thing that you write to your boot partition with dd.

And yes, the install script for it wants to write it on the data partition by default, so you shouldn't run that.
haagch

Postby haagch » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Monitor stays black on boot with linux-armv7-rc 4.11-rc1. Does anyone know what's up with that?
haagch

Postby pyonpi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Hello, I am attempting to install Arch on my HP Chromebook 14 G3, and I keep getting an odd error. I have installed Arch before with Raumzeit's script, so I do know everything works well. The first odd occurrence comes during the first script run. I was able to catch a glimpse of the verbose before the reboot, and it output umount: /tmp/arfs/proc: mountpoint not found after the normal verbose. As to why it was attempting to unmount that mountpoint, I am not sure. The partition size change works correctly. The second time the script is ran, everything gets funky after the x-server basics are installed. You can see said error here. I have assured I have nothing running in the background, and no extension that could be playing not nice. I did a log of what was currently running on /tmp/arfs/dev, but nothing seems out of the ordinary to me. I am unsure why this issue is persisting. Here is the archlinux-install.log. (Download only due to size, sorry.)

Any and all help is appreciated. :)

EDIT: It appears the issue was with pepper-flash. I removed that from the x-server downloads and everything installed correctly. If you are still having this issue, I suggest using the modified script! Also, I suggest you get a copies of your libwidevine and pepperflash files from your Chrome OS partition, as well as a copy of your current user agent before hopping over. The DRM and flash files will come in handy when it comes to Netflix and more. :)
pyonpi

Postby haagch » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:47 pm

Still not booting with linux-armv7-rc. Has anyone looked into it?

Are there any news about CPU frequency scaling? cpufreq was disabled a long time ago and since then nothing happened...

Gnurou quit at nvidia. :/
Hopefully nvidia appoints a replacement.
haagch

Postby mrala » Mon May 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Hello, has anyone ever booted from USB or SD?
What is the output from:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'crossystem dev_boot_usb
crossystem dev_boot_signed_only')
and
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1
sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=0')

Anyone currently runnning mainline?
Thanks.
mrala

Postby haagch » Tue May 02, 2017 10:18 am

I've just updated to linux-armv7 4.11 and it works!

From my installed system I get
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb
execv() of mosys failed
waitpid() or mosys error')
Seems the vboot-utils don't fully work on a standard arch (kernel?).

But I did enable boot usb and disabled signed only in order to be able to boot arch from the internal flash. Probably could have gotten away with not enabling usb boot but it's nice to have a fallback in case I entirely ***** up the installed systems.
haagch

PreviousNext

Return to nVidia