twonky and subsonic

Request a package to be made here. Make sure you have searched before requesting.

Re: twonky and subsonic

Postby scatleguy » Wed May 25, 2011 8:15 am

At the moment I have succesfully installed Subsonic on my pink Pogoplug (thanks to this topic). It works like it should, the only problem now is that the java process is constantly consuming 100% of the cpu. This means that loading a webpage in my browser from Subsonic takes minutes and most of the time it times out. I've tried installing Subsonic based on openjdk6 and openjre7, but there is no difference there. Also I tried to configure Subsonic with about 100GB of music (on an USB disk) and also with less than 100MB in /var/music (local), also no difference there.

I figured that maybe the Pogoplug just takes a very long time to create its Subsonic index database, but even after more than 12 hour there is no change in cpu usage.

So now I'm stuck. It works, but it's unbearably slow and thus unusable. Does anyone has a clue on how I can get the java process to ease down? Maybe there's an alternative for jave or maybe an other version? Or is it just the Pogoplug's hardware that isn't capable of running a java process properly?
scatleguy

Postby devr » Wed May 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Which Java are you using Oracle's or the open java available in from pacman ? I have the same setup, Pink pogo running subsonic and it runs just fine. When I first tested using the open java version, it was very.. very... slow. Not sure about the 100% cpu. I downloaded Oracle's arm java binary tar, and it was much faster. Since then I haven't looked back. I did not dig deeper into why open java was so much slower or resource hungry.
devr

Postby scatleguy » Thu May 26, 2011 11:11 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('devr', 'W')hich Java are you using Oracle's or the open java available in from pacman ? I have the same setup, Pink pogo running subsonic and it runs just fine. When I first tested using the open java version, it was very.. very... slow. Not sure about the 100% cpu. I downloaded Oracle's arm java binary tar, and it was much faster. Since then I haven't looked back. I did not dig deeper into why open java was so much slower or resource hungry.

I'm using the open java from pacman (openjre7). It sounds like a good tip to try Oracle's arm java, I haven't thought of that. I have been looking on the web, but couldn't find a right version to download. Do you have a download link or something like that?
scatleguy

Postby scatleguy » Thu May 26, 2011 11:35 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('devr', 'W')hich Java are you using Oracle's or the open java available in from pacman ? I have the same setup, Pink pogo running subsonic and it runs just fine. When I first tested using the open java version, it was very.. very... slow. Not sure about the 100% cpu. I downloaded Oracle's arm java binary tar, and it was much faster. Since then I haven't looked back. I did not dig deeper into why open java was so much slower or resource hungry.

Ok, I posted too quickly. I've found the ARM binairies here https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewFilteredProducts-SingleVariationTypeFilter. I've downloaded the ARM5 version, untarred it, and added the "...../bin" path to $PATH.

No I have a new challenge, what do I fill in in the PKGBUILD at 'depends' when installing Subsonic from yaourt? I tried 'ejre1.6.0', 'jre' and 'ejre' but no luck, the target cannot be found. Any tips?

This is my output from any given path:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@Arch Linux ARM bin]# java -version
java version "1.6.0_21"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition for Embedded (build 1.6.0_21-b09, headless)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 19.0-b02, mixed mode)')
scatleguy

Postby pepedog » Thu May 26, 2011 11:47 am

Try taking jre out of depends altogether. It's just for you only, after all?
These depends are just for stuff to be installed with pacman install, you are installing with tar binary.
pepedog
Developer

Postby scatleguy » Thu May 26, 2011 11:55 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('pepedog', 'T')ry taking jre out of depends altogether. It's just for you only, after all?
These depends are just for stuff to be installed with pacman install, you are installing with tar binary.

Thanks for your tip, I just figured the same thing myself. And now I'm very glad, because that did the trick! I've now running Subsonic, indexing my 100GB of music and there hasn't been a moment that the CPU was working for 100%. It's running very smoothly. Thanks for all your help! Now I'm gonna try adding a lame decoder, next challenge. I will post my findings.
scatleguy

Postby scatleguy » Thu May 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Ok, lame works. I've installed it with pacman
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Sy lame')
Then I copied the lame binairy from /usr/bin to /var/subsonic/transcode. Now when I open a song on my Android phone, the file gets perfectly transcoded like it should but the whole experience gets dead slow. The lame process consumes 100% CPU for minutes for just one song.

Does anyone knows a better or more efficient lame binairy?
scatleguy

Postby devr » Thu May 26, 2011 6:28 pm

I have a few flac files, and thats when subsonic makes the call out to transcode. Not sure which I am using, just made sure whatever binaries it was set to use in the config were installed, but I am pretty certain a pink pogo ARM cpu was never meant to handle transcoding. The Pogo Video version, I think, has beefier cpu... and they included an onboard hardware encoder/decoder chip. There's a reason for that ;) Anytime I try to stream one of the flac files, there is a delay, play a few seconds of music, delay, seconds of music, etc. And I won;t even mention the one time I tried to stream a video ;)

I just got a Pogo Pro, slower cpu but dual core. Have yet to test if that is any better (very very doubtful, 2nd core will most likely help with processing other processes while transcoding). But if I ever get to it, will update the thread.
devr

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri May 27, 2011 2:33 am

The pro is actually also a generation up, an armv6l vs an armv5te, so there are certain things that make a difference. I am not sure how much the encoder card on the video is used for music... but it's possible I suppose.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby tritron » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:09 pm

I am using oracle java and on my pogoplug pro java uses 3 to 7. Now the only problem that I have is that the script does not start subsonic. I edited the script to match my files.
/usr/local/subsonic/subsonic.sh will start subsonic but /etc/rc.d/subsonic start states done but sunsonic is not started.
tritron

PreviousNext

Return to Package Requests