PS3 Mediaserver

Request a package to be made here. Make sure you have searched before requesting.

PS3 Mediaserver

Postby sambul13 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:21 pm

PS3Mediaserver (pms) is a much more capable streaming package than miniDLNA, and offers a variety of features, including transcoding on demand, thumb generation, choosing audio tracks, subtitles, list sorting, DVD chapters, ISO and TS folder streaming, DTS HD and other audio formats direct streaming, plugins, adding own devices configs, etc. See docs for details. PMS supports out of the box numerous device types, and is available in AUR, but requires separate TSMuxer install from AUR, and many Pogo users don't know how to install packages from AUR. Pls add pms and its dependencies to ARM repository.
sambul13

Re: PS3 Mediaserver

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:19 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sambul13', '[')url=http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/]PS3Mediaserver[/url] (pms) is a much more capable streaming package than miniDLNA, and offers a variety of features, including transcoding on demand, thumb generation, choosing audio tracks, subtitles, list sorting, DVD chapters, ISO and TS folder streaming, DTS HD and other audio formats direct streaming, plugins, adding own devices configs, etc. See docs for details. PMS supports out of the box numerous device types, and is available in AUR, but requires separate TSMuxer install from AUR, and many Pogo users don't know how to install packages from AUR. Pls add pms and its dependencies to ARM repository.

1) live transcoding = bad idea.
2) Yeah, nice features, but based on Java.
3) ... So because our users don't know how to use the AUR, and 1 person asks for it, we're supposed to pull it into the repo?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby sambul13 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:45 pm

This is just another suggestion, like every other request thread in this section, all of which are started by a single member. Hopefully, more pips will support it. No need to be aggressive, you are not "supposed" to do anything. I don't know, who usually uploads these packages, for what purpose and based on what criteria if any. ;)

Forget to mention, PS3Mediaserver doesn't create a separate Media DB by scanning all media drives, it just presents all media folders set in its config as browsable on TV screen Samba style, so its very easy on Plug's CPU. Commonly considered to be the most powerful Linux DLNA server available with broadest streaming options and device support, and very active community.
sambul13

Postby danilofpires » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:53 am

Must agree with him.

You guys made a hell of a job with ArchLinux ARM. And I'm getting surprised each day with the amazing features I could achieve with my GoFlexHome using Arch.

I understand and agree that live transconding is indeed a bad idea for an ARM processor, but must agree also with sambul13 on the idea of finding a simplest way to get pms up. I have a Apple TV2 (Jailbreak), Apple TV3 :(, PS3 and also XBox360 trying to stream from my GoFlex.

With MiniDLNA I could solve almost 90% of my problems with streaming, but couldn't solve a essencial one, the subtitles not attached or burned on the movie file. To solve this I would have to burn all srt on my avi, mp4, mkv and other videos files.

If MiniDLNA could somehow stream this subtitles I would stand for it :), but for doing this wouldn't it have to do live transcoding also??? Sorry for the questions but I'm a newbie on those movies transcoders and DLNA servers.

Thanks once again for the great job you guys are doing with ArchLinux ARM.
danilofpires

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:36 pm

This is 2 requests, someone first needs to compile and test that it works are all, since most the developers do not have any of those 3 devices. After that, we will not be the ones to maintain it as up to date, since we do not have the equipment to test with.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to Package Requests